Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Spring or shocks?

H

Henri 79

Hello all,

My base suspension '91 has the annoying 'feature' to bottom out the suspension during 'moderate' (ahum) driving on the back roads while going trough some bumps.
The car suspension bottoms out and gets 'caught' in the suspension travel stops. (no better way to describe).

Is there a way to improve this?
Firmer springs? If yes, which ones? Z51? Z07?
Different shocks? If yes, which ones? Z51? Or aftermarkets, like yellow Koni's? (which are a Dutch product, btw)

How many miles do you have on your vette? On top of the miles, you have to realize that your car has been sitting on those shocks (assuming they are factory installed) for well over 10 years now... You may be very happy with a new set of factory shocks.... If you get a good deal on the Koni's over there, just go with those... It doesn't sound like you really race the car, but you just like to have your spirted drives with it... I would consider the ride quality when you are looking at new shocks too.... I have a Z51 car now, and I was honestly happier with the standard suspension on my '93... The times I am just cruising and want a stiff but not teeth rattling suspension far outweigh the times when I race.... and the standard suspension isn't bad by any means... just some food for thought, good luck with the vette

how about the new corvettes

how much does it cost to buy the suspsion on the new ones

they are so nice
the shocks self adjust to bumpy roads or on just flat pavement

thats what i am going to put on my 85

FYI, mine does similar things (I also have FE1-base suspension). I replaced my factory Bilsteins last summer, and it solved the problem-for about a year. My vette is starting to float over the woopdies and what not on the freeways.

I am looking for a permanent solution. The idea of sending my old set for rebuilding has crossed my mind, but I would be rebuilding shocks every year!

:duh

Judging from the sound of the way you guys from the Netherlands drive (Read: FAST! :L), you should just go ahead and install a custom coil-over set-up. Johnny's probably got something to add to that suggestion I'll bet. ;)

_ken :w

Ken, last I checked, Denver was still in Colorado. Then again, with as much smoke from the fires around here recently, they might have moved us without telling.

Come to think of it, the gas prices have been going up.....:gap

Coil overs sound expensive. Besides, I have been thinking of auto x'ing, and I believe that would push me into a level I am not ready to jump into yet.

Who knows....

Topless,
Yes if you do coil-overs you will get moved into a class you don't want to race in. The guys with coil-overs are pretty serious level and have purpose built cars.

I'm curious who has tried the Edelbrock IAS shocks. They are supposed to adjust themselves on the fly based on the road condition and how hard you are pushing the car around. There is also the HAL shocks which I have heard good things about. They are a 10-way adjustable and you don't take them off to adjust them. Either of these shocks though are about $125 each...

Graham

Graham-
I was wondering about the Edelbrock too. The other one is the Koni yellows They are supposed to be dual adjustable, without removal.

I have also thought about getting a FX-3 system and transplant it. That with rebuilt (stiffer) adjustable bilsteins would put me back a few $$. The only thing is that I hear mixed opinions on the FX-3. A guy at work said he had a vette with it and he could not tell a difference. Did he just not notice, or perhaps his shocks were leaking?

Ideas?

Mike,

I know of only one person who has done the Edelbrocks. I haven't ridden in the car but he likes them. But it's only 1 person. There are at least 4 guys on the other forum that are running the HAL shocks and are quite impressed. I've heard enough bashing about Koni the past year that I will just stay clear of them.

I have also heard mixed opinions about the FX3. A guy at work had it in his 93 coupe. He said there was a difference. But not a major difference. I don't get the impression they go from smooth like the base 92 setup I have to a bone jarring 84-Z51 with the turn of a switch. I was told that those HAL shocks set at 1 are smooth and 10 you don't want to do everyday driving. Just autox and hard backroad driving. Also keep in mind the FX3 is a really expensive proposition to retorfit your car for.

On a seperate note. I'm really sorry to hear about your dilemna with the dealership and the belt problem. I hope it works out for you. Don't trade the Vette in for a horse, it's not the cars fault... Before they worry about getting their mechanics ASE certified maybe they should just get them Common Sense Certified...

Graham

From what you say, I think I will check into the Hal's a bit. They sound like what I am looking for (except for that really cool console switch!).

As for the other problem....Well I don't think I will get a horse yet. Its just frustrating to have fun car that you can not drive as intended due to mechanical problems, especially ones caused by someone else. If it were up to snuff, I would be driving (flying) it out to San Diego from Denver next weekend for a couple days. Oh well, guess I will be flying at 30K feet instead of 3 inches off the ground.

Thanks-
MIke
:w

Thanks guys for the imput.
I don't consider the FX3 the way to go. One for the costs and second because the hassle to get it to work on the rest of the Vette.
THe Z07 option on the other hand... Those really have 'tight' springs... I wonder if the shocks between FX3 and Z07 differ... Or only the springs & sway bars etc. (bigger brakes perhaps?)

I'm curious about what you've heard from the yellow Koni's? They claim to be adjustable on the car...

I didn't know about the Edelbrock & HAL shocks. Will investingate these.

About Johnny: He's lost :) He already suggested coil overs. But I want to stay as original as possible with the only expection of using genuine Corvette from several years or options (springs for example).

'Driven hard'... define hard... that's where Corvettes are made for, I was told... :)

If you're bottoming out on the first bump, you need stiffer springs. To keep things under control, then you'd also need somewhat stiffer shocks.
If you're getting a lot of motion from a first bump, then coming down hard and bottoming out on the second bump, then you could fix the problem with stiffer shocks.
If it's the rear that's bottoming, you might also try adjusting the ride height for a little more spring pre-load, and a little higher ride height.
Just a thought.
- R

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom