Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! sq.port headers

82mystery

Corvette
1982 blue
:confusedI have a 82 383 that using pro comp angle plug,210 cc, with square ports.I am not able to find a header mfg that makes headers for this combo. I just bought hooker super comp that had the sq. port ,but came within 1/2 inch of floor on drivers side and were also raised up about 3/4 inch to high.I am now trying to find anything that will fit these heads. P lease help if possible. I usually get all of my help from this very good forum. 700 r 4 trans. thanks Larry ;help

Unfortunately, exhaust port exit position and port size in relation to stock is a problem with some aftermarket aluminum heads.

If your heads have a "raised exhaust port", in many cases, your only option is to have headers custom made for the car.

First thing I'd do is find out if these heads do, in fact, have a raised exhaust port. If the head manufacturer says they do, then return the Hookers and find a custom header fabricator.

I do have sq. ports heads with the raised runner but I was able to find a set of short headers from Mc jacks corvette there in calif. They are the ram horn ceramic short header. I appreciate your quick responce on this.thanks a million, larry

I want to correct my earlier statement about headers and raised exhaust ports. The fit problem will usually occur with real (some call them "longtube") headers and not tubular steel exhaust manifolds or so-called "shorty headers".

In the end, however, you got the job done and, unless you're interested in the full potential of the cylinder heads, it doesn't matter much whether you have "faux" headers or real ones.

I am dropping in a 383 with the same heads on my 80. Don't have the exhaust figured out yet, so thanks for the header tip. My question to you is, what intake manifold did you use? I was told that I could only use the professional products typhoon, but that it wouldn't fit under the stock hood. Now I'm researching hood options. It would really like to keep my hood if possible. I want the sleeper factor.

Chris

Hi Chris, The engine has a dual plane crosswind intake and a770 cfm holley.I got the engine from MR Engines off e-bay motors and they still have a picture of engine and intake installed on a duplicate one for sale.my hood closes ok without a air cleaner but i believe one that fits around the carb some will fit.I am going to use the Hooker long tube header but I guess I am going to have to make my own reducer by cutting a pipe 45 degrees and then weld it to the flange header to miss the floor of car.I hope this helps and good luck with you exhaust. larry ( I also stripped off the factory ram unit that a 82 has.)

Weiand X-CELerator intake is surpossed to fit the c3 hoods. I left this out before. larry

Edelbrock Performer Intake will fit with stock air cleaner and hood. Edelbrock RPM Intake will fit with stock hood but you will have to remove the stock air cleaner and go with something else. Anything above the Edelbrock RPM Intake then your looking at clearance issues with the hood.

Edelbrock Performer Intake will fit with stock air cleaner and hood. Edelbrock RPM Intake will fit with stock hood but you will have to remove the stock air cleaner and go with something else. Anything above the Edelbrock RPM Intake then your looking at clearance issues with the hood.[/quote]

I just found it hard to find something that matched the port size of the Procomp 210's. I had a torker-2 on the stock motor with enough room under the hood, but didn't come close to fitting the intake ports.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom