Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Squeak - possibly the speedo cable?

Corvette
1978 L-82 4 speed Pace Car
I have a squeak in my front end that varies with speed. I could have sworn it was the left front wheel.

I replaced the front wheel bearings. Honestly, the old ones didn't look bad at all, but I had already bought the new ones, and they weren't expensive enough to warrant making a trip back to the store, so I put them in anyway.

The front brakes aren't making the noise either.

My question is, can the speedo cable cause this kind of a squeak? Sometimes it actually becomes a squeal. What do you lube it with - graphine or a liquid?

Can I reach up and disconnect it to test without removing the instrument console.

Any other ideas what could cause a speed-related (not RPM related) sqeak in the front end?

Thanks y'all,
Culprit

I have the same type of squeak ... I think.

I notice my speedo "jumping" a bit when I hear the squeak, I usually can pick it up when im going at basically idle speed thru a park or such. Mine sounds like its front left also, i have heard that lubing it may damage the gauge itself and it would be better to have it replaced then try and fix it.
I have had my dash apart to the point that i got to the speedo cable and stopped, then worked around it like that.
I hope someone can help out with info on this matter as well.

Chas:cool

My cable used to squeak, varied with speed...it's stopped right around the time the speedo stopped working.

It sounded like it was coming from right in front of where the passengers feet would be, next to the headers.

Get the rear tires up off the ground and have someone in the car put it in gear. Get out there and try to listen for it and isolate it.

I think I'll put the car on jackstands and disconnect the speedo cable from the tranny and ease out on the clutch to determine if that is the source of the squeak. That would be easier than taking the dash apart.

On second thought, I have to take it apart anyway to replace the turn signal indicator lights and the hi-beam indicator light, so I guess I should just stop procrastinating!

If y'all have any other ideas, let me know.

If you have cruise control, you could isolate which cable is squeeking by disconnecting them at the transducer. If it is the bottom one, you can take the complete cable and housing out and replace or lube it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom