Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Squealing Belt

PAULIE B

Corvette
2007 sliver, 02 sold ,87 sold
Hey all, This has been talked about a hundred times. My 02 coupe is crying. lol The serpentine belt is loud. I looked on froggy's and numerous you tube video's and also asked friends if it's the belt or pulley's. Some say it's belt and others pulley's. Well I did change the belt with a gates belt. Still squealing. I then changed the tension pulley (auto zone part dura?JUNK). Still crying. I bought another tension pulley and a idler pulley(goodyear parts). Didn't have time to install them. Someone told me to clean all pulley's with steel wool and brake cleaner. I didn't do it. I wanted to ask all you expert's, what your thoughts were about that. And what is your opinion on this matter. What I'm I missing?
Thanks Paul

You've already done the two things that I thought of right off the top. Will be anxious to hear what it is.

Did you check out the AC belt and pulleys too??
Mine was squealing like a hog caught under the gate!~!!!:thumb

Replaced both belts and all idler pulleys,Quiet as a church mouse now!~!! :D

:beer

Last edited:
Hey all, This has been talked about a hundred times. My 02 coupe is crying. lol The serpentine belt is loud. I looked on froggy's and numerous you tube video's and also asked friends if it's the belt or pulley's. Some say it's belt and others pulley's. Well I did change the belt with a gates belt. Still squealing. I then changed the tension pulley (auto zone part dura?JUNK). Still crying. I bought another tension pulley and a idler pulley(goodyear parts). Didn't have time to install them. Someone told me to clean all pulley's with steel wool and brake cleaner. I didn't do it. I wanted to ask all you expert's, what your thoughts were about that. And what is your opinion on this matter. What I'm I missing?
Thanks Paul

Probably the a/c belt as Junkie described. With the engine running at hot idle, use a spray bottle with water in it and CAREFULLY spray water on the a/c belt area that is on the bottom right of the engine. If the noise goes away or changes it's tone, the belt is the noise as water will not quiet a bad pulley or tensioner. Good luck with it. :)

If you replace all belts, idlers and tensioners at once you save a lot of aggravation, time, and you won't be searching for squeaks every few months. I replace them all at about 5 years. The belts are wear items, but the tensioners and idlers are too.

Thanks guys! I have to go and get the a/c belt. As soon as I get the next opportunity I will tackle it. Will keep you all informed!

Is a/c belt as easy as the serpentine belt?

I think it is easier myself but you do need to get under the vehicle, and of course remove the serpentine belt first. Triple check all the rib alignments on the belt to pulley contact surface area to make sure that the belt is on proper as it is very easy not to see that one belt rib is off center. Good luck with it. :)

Did you check out the AC belt and pulleys too??
Mine was squealing like a hog caught under the gate!~!!!:thumb

Replaced both belts and all idler pulleys,Quiet as a church mouse now!~!! :D

:beer

Yep!! It was the A/C belt.:upthumbs Had time today and replaced it. What a pain in the ass. But it's done. And like gmjunkie said "Quiet as a church mouse":D:beer Thanks all.

Ole Junkie is a pretty fart smeller....I mean smart feller! :chuckle

Gatorback Belt

I had a similar problem with my 99. The Gatorback Belt solved the chirping for me. Good luck.
Andy

Thanks Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom