Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

starter heat shield

mytoy

Corvette
1978 L82 BLACK
Has anyone put a heat shield on their starter, what type, the wrap or the metal type , if so did it help, and how long did it take to install

I first installed a heat shield,my starter still had heat soak. I then installed the insulated wrap. with both of them on i haven't had a problem.I purchased both items at Summit Racing.They were not that hard to install.Had to pull the starter . Chuck

Yes, I purchased the wrap-type shield from a local speed shop in 10/97 but I guess it was already too late for that starter because I had to replace it in 4/98. I can't remember what the symptoms were but I think it had problems starting when it was hot. This starter still works like a champ, cold or hot, so maybe it has helped? I didn't actually install it, my husband installed it on the first starter, and my 'Vette mechanic installed it on the 2nd starter, and I remember hearing that it was kind of a pain...

Have fun! :s
Barb

I used the wrap around heat shield, and it was easy to put on . It holds securely and it alot easier than bolting on the metal heat shield. I also did the one end of it , as it sits real close a header. Gives very good protection.

SwaveDave

I've heard horror stories about the (tape type) wrap on headers; I don't know about using it on the starter, but I'd be careful. ;)

1987 Z51 said:
I've heard horror stories about the (tape type) wrap on headers; I don't know about using it on the starter, but I'd be careful. ;)
Z51, the type of starter insulater i'm talking about comes with its own metal straps to hold it on. Mine has been on my car about 6 years now. Bought it at Summit. I agree i would not use any tape type of insulater on the starter. Chuck

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom