Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

starter motor(s)

boomdriver

Corvette
87 z-51
I have a bigger diameter forward Y pipe that was added on several years ago and has served me well...

However,

It is directly below the starter body...

I noticed that beginning in 88 and 89 they went to what looks like a mini-torque starters.

QUESTION:
how well do these perform, last and spin the motor around?

and finally, can I take one of the minis from a 91 and use it in an 87? (All L98 blocks) The mini looks like it might clear the pipe and make install or removal easier.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
TIA !

QUESTION:, can I take one of the minis from a 91 and use it in an 87? (All L98 blocks) The mini looks like it might clear the pipe and make install or removal easier.
Sure can.
Denso late model starter is also 1/2 the weight of the big Delco one ;
great change from using two hands to hold the Delco unit up in place while you use your 3rd hand to get bolts started :D
IIRC, had to reroute batt cable as terminal is in different position on Denso starter and bolt lengths are different.For ease of install I used studs and nuts

FWIW; the original Denso from my '89 engine is cranking my 12:1 CR race 383 great.
With a good tune it doesn't even crank over; just fires up as soon as you turn the key

There is also the Hitachi mini starter; similar size

Some reasonable pricing here
Denso $120 new ( 1/2 way down page )
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/racecar.html

starter.jpg

I have a bigger diameter forward Y pipe that was added on several years ago and has served me well...

However,

It is directly below the starter body...

I noticed that beginning in 88 and 89 they went to what looks like a mini-torque starters.

QUESTION:
how well do these perform, last and spin the motor around?

and finally, can I take one of the minis from a 91 and use it in an 87? (All L98 blocks) The mini looks like it might clear the pipe and make install or removal easier.

TIA !

If your going with a used N.D. starter, make sure that you replace the solenoid contacts before installing, it's cheap insurance. They are great starter motors if they fit your application. Good luck with it. :)

Cool !

Thanks guys ! :cool!:

I noticed the 2 different starters when I was doing the search/cost query at my local parts stores website,
(all parts have pic online) and saw that the 89 had both available and later yrs were only ND, but had to ask someone before going too far..

My parts store has the ND for $96 and the 60 lb Delco for $49 lifetime warranty. ($39 -1 yr warranty)Similar warranty.

3 hands...yes, I think last time I did this by my self, I laid on my back,used my feet to hold the damn thing while one hand pulled the pipe over and the other attempted to start a bolt....one of the tougher 2 bolt jobs on the car.
If the Delco starter motor was ANY heavier it would justify the use of a transmission jack.....;LOL

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom