Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Starter or relay

S

surfer93

Tried to start the car and it just clicked once, turned it off and tried again and it just clicked once. Third time it clicked and half a second later it started turning over. When I came out of the store, it started right up.

So could it be the starter or the relay?

Is there a way to test the relay?

Where is the best place to get a starter or relay?

Thanks!!

How good is the battery?
Cold weather , marginal battery = not enough current to turn starter over. What was your battery Volts reading when it happened? Also check battery cable connections both ends for tightness and corrosion before getting to starter/ solenoid problems.

Brand new battery, but I will check the volts.

Thanks

I had the same symptoms on my 96 back in October. Starter was shot. I bought a new Delco from thepartsladi on E-Bay ($288 total). You might also try these guys:
Rotex America - Home (I'm gonna drop the old one off with them for re-build).
You can find non-Delco starters for less but, I didn't want to be back under the car in another year changing out a Chinese part.

A friend with a 96 recently purchased a starter repair kit from this guy on e-bay for the same problem.

eBay My World - clickerfixer

he said it was an easy install and took care of the problem, way cheaper than a starter.

I have done this repair many times, and if you can buy the contacts seperately, that is all you will really need. The plunger can be cleaned up and reused.

I also posted this on an old thread by mistake.

The contacts which fail in the Denso are 66-82756 and 66-82759 and the plungers ARE usually reusable--but i have seen a couple that due to arcing between the contacts and plunger--the plunger ended up being pitted and burnt to the point it wasn't serviceable. The kit in the link from "toptechX6" will have everything you may need for the repair.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom