Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

starter turns rough when cold. But starts and turn right up when hot. What the hell?

Tepot

Corvette
1974 Metalic Blue L-48 Coupe 4 speed
Hi guys,

interesting problem here. I've noticed that my car had a hard time starting recently. not only that. my wipers started to not work or work when it wanted, the fan as well and then my darn radio was cutting.

I've investigated and found a missing bold on the starter which olds the selenoid on the starter and the ground cable was just hanging. so would start when wire would touch the starter. so it was a hit and miss thing.

But now I've put on a bolt and secure the ground wire. fixed the problem? not really. when the car sits there for a while. it will still be hard to start. it's like it's hard to crank but when it's started it works fine. Then after a long drive, when I'm back in the garage. I can stop the car and start it like 5 to 6 times in a row without any problems. turns right away without hesitating.

what is going on? the battery is brand new. The alternator 4 years old. What could be the problem here? Earlier I went for a drive, was driving fine, then at the restaurant after 3 hours. the car almost didnt start. was really hard to turn the engine, then when it started. I've open the lights and almost stauled the engine and radio went out and then with a few hit on the gas everything became fine. Then when I parked the car in the garage. When the car is hot now. no problem. will start right up. turns very quick.

Can anyone explain this weird senario? Also I've noticed that when I race the car on the highway, well around 4500 RPM it's like the car looses power. normally it would go well over 5500 RPM and the speed would go up quickly. now it's like when it get's to 4500 RPM it looses all hopes.

Please help me , it's driving me nuts.

Thanks

Check the grounds from the battery to the frame, the frame to the engine. It kind of sounds like the starter isn't getting enough power. It takes some good current to start when it's hot, but more when it's cold. Clearances are tighter, the oil is thick. After that, I'd pull the starter and have it tested. If the grounds are good and still turns slow, the solenoid may have bad contacts in it or the brushes in the starter may be bad.

Are you sure it's the starter and not the carburetor? Sounds like you have a cold start problem (carburetor) which does not occur after the car is warmed up. RPM loss at speed also sounds like carburetor.

:thumb

wow! Thanks guys, I've checked the ground to the battery. Didn't look like it was rusted or corroded at all but I've brushed with a steal brush on the frame to clear out paint and other residue, then steal brushed the bolt itself then put everything back in place and the car starts fine now. the starter cranks really fast and doesn't seem to have a hard time turning now. will have to test more again but seems like I was getting more RPM this time as well. Was it possible that distributor wasn't getting enough power?

The current draw caused by the poor grounds to the starter could have lowered the voltage to the distributor causing a weak spark. Kind of a circle. Starter turns slow because of low voltage, ignition is weak because of low voltage, requires longer cranking time, lowers voltage more.

ok. guy's. thanks for all the help so far.

My problem seems to get worst but some issues are fixed. I'll tell you what I've done so far.

I've fixed the ground from the battery to the frame. this as fixed my problem I had with power to distributor , radio, fan and wipers. Acceleration is awesome now.

But my problem with starter still persist. I've changed the starter for a new one. Problem got worst. Now it will do the same thing, will crank hard but most of the time now, when I turn the ignition I have absolutely nothing. Can't start the car at all. It will start sometimes. but most of the time won't. I've checked all my cables at the starter and they are all ok.

I know the starter is good cause not only it's new. but when it won't do anything when I turn on the ignition on. I'm still able to start the car with a screw driver by jumping the starter at the selenoid. So the starter is good.

Now that I'm thinking, Could it be the switch for the clutch? like if the switch is bad, It won't recognize that the clutch is all the way down?

Please help. I'm out of idea's right now.

thanks

Update

ok. I just got back from the garage. I've tested the neutral safety switch and it's working fine. I've disabled it and the car would still start without clutch sometimes and sometimes won't do anything. So it's not that.

Also, The car as been sitting there now for a few hours and It will start all the time now. So it looks like it's worst when the car is hot. any suggestions?

I'm getting very frustrated right now. What could cause the starter to start and sometimes not doing anything??? i'm out of idea's. can anyone help?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom