Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starting help

Raul_C4

Corvette
Cherry Red 1986 coupe
Considering a new ready to run distributor to replace fat HEI distributor MSD says it's compatible. Comes with its own 3 prong pig tail for the already installed ICM . So my question is If I leave the 4 prong pig tail connector unplugged that plugged into the huge HEi which looks like is attached to the ECM not too sure. If that is left unplugged will it not allow the vehicle to run ?

Considering a new ready to run distributor to replace fat HEI distributor MSD says it's compatible. Comes with its own 3 prong pig tail for the already installed ICM . So my question is If I leave the 4 prong pig tail connector unplugged that plugged into the huge HEi which looks like is attached to the ECM not too sure. If that is left unplugged will it not allow the vehicle to run ?

When the engine is rotating, the factory HEI distributor sends references pulses to the ECM. That signal is the only way the ECM knows the engine is rotating. No reference pulses means the ECM will not pulse the injectors or turn the fuel pump on after the initial 2 second prime. Two of the wires are used by the ECM to take control of the engine timing so it can advance and retard the timing once the engine reaches a certain rpm. Did you tell MSD you wanted a distributor with computer/electronic timing control and not vacuum timing control?

Last edited by a moderator:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom