Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

starting issue -mystery

74 stingray

My 74 would'nt start the other day. It turned over and over each time I turned the key but would not catch. Ran the battery out, charged it up that night, tried again with same result. Charged it again, turned over but would not start the first time I turned the key. After that it would not even turn. I charged and even replaced the battery, still just a "click". I have tried to wiggle all conections on the starter, no help. The mystery is why would it turn but not start and then go to not even turning?????

It must have turned the motor over 15-20 times without starting before that stopped. Yes I did not hold the key too long on any attempt.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Got Spark?
Got Gas?

You probably toasted the starter trying to get it running. If it doesn't fire on the first few tries, there's no point running down the battery.

Got Spark?
Got Gas?

You probably toasted the starter trying to get it running. If it doesn't fire on the first few tries, there's no point running down the battery.

I had gas, as I could smell it when it flooded the first day. Not sure about spark, and of course I can not tell now.

Thanks

After you get the starter fixed. check to see that you have spark. This can be done with a timing light or ...... Be carefull..... Pull a plug out and ground the out side of the plug to ground and obsurve if there is spark across the electrode. You will need to turn the engine over to obsurve this. Once you have this information we can help you other areas to check. ie points, condenser, coil or back to the carb or other issues.

If you got a hei ignition,sounds like the modual is dead,if you got points,check the gap and the connections on the dist. and coil and coil wire.Wouldn't hurt to check rotter button either.Just a wild guess.Things like this can be a pain.

If it isn't turning anymore and the battery isn't dead, then you killed something. Could be the starter, the solenoid, or the relay.

It takes 3 things for the engine to run: fuel, air, spark.

Just because you could smell fuel, does not mean you had the right amount. Spark is the most likely problem.
Also possible (but less likely) is that it was so rich that there was not enough air.

Get the car cranking, then worry about starting.

Good luck and ask tons of questions!

After you get the starter fixed. check to see that you have spark. This can be done with a timing light or ...... Be carefull..... Pull a plug out and ground the out side of the plug to ground and obsurve if there is spark across the electrode. You will need to turn the engine over to obsurve this. Once you have this information we can help you other areas to check. ie points, condenser, coil or back to the carb or other issues.
Good advice...:beer

You may have taken out your battery/alternator but I think its your starter/solonoid.

My 76 did the same thing last week.. Turns out the ground cable from the battery was so corroded where it bolts to the frame that it would not let enough current through it to run the starter and the ignition.. The wire in the cable was so corroded you could flake it apart with your fingers. I cleaned the connection point and replaced the cable and everything is perfect now. Might be worth a good look on yours for a similar problem.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom