Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starting troubles

vette_man62

Corvette
1998 Silver Coupe
I wanted to see if anyone might know a solution to a problem I am having with my 1994 LT1
I get in and try to start my car and occasionally it will just make a single "click" sound....when I turn the key back off and try again, it usually starts right up. I replaced the battery about 4 months ago so i know its not the battery. The problem seems to be intermitten. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem and if so, what the solution might be.
Thanks!
T

Two things come to mind. Dirty connections, or bad starter solenoid. The contacts for the starter motor in the solenoid tend to burn.
:w

g winter is correct also if it has an aftermarket alarm these can cause problems in the relays that the alarm uses to disable the starter . check all connections steve;)

Yeah bad contacts, or solenoid. It might not be the cause of an alarm. Because if an alarm is set, it would disable all power to the starter, causing no solenoid click. What do you think steve?

Good Luck

Same thing happened to me in the fall of 03'. I would hear a click and the car wouldn't start. And just like you, it would start after the first try. It ended up being the starter. I replaced it for $150 from the local auto parts store.

If you have a second ignition key try it, the one you are using may have a bad chip on it or worse case the ignition needs to be replaced .
I just had the lock smith make me another key and it is fine now .
I had already replaced the starter under aftermarket warranty $400.00 and the chevy dlr tried to say the flywheel was shot:mad .
At that point I went to visit my car and show them :r ,I had the mechanic remove the starter when I was there:dance ,Looks like it will cut lettuce to me .
It looked like they had eaten apples ,they looked a little red to me..

T
attach a voltmeter to the main post on the starter and put it where you can see the readout on the voltmeter....next try to crank it......if the voltage does not change the starter is most likely bad......if the voltage drops a bunch it most likely is a bad connection or bad battery.....to check the battery connect the voltmeter to the positive battery post and try to crank again......again if the voltage drops a bunch the battery is either defective or to small...
I hope this helps
Mike

Guys I appreciate all of the responses. It appears the starter IS bad. Getting it repaired now so I can get back on the road!
Thanks again!
Tom

vette_man62 said:
Guys I appreciate all of the responses. It appears the starter IS bad. Getting it repaired now so I can get back on the road!
Thanks again!
Tom

Sounds good, hope you get it back on the road soon.

Make sure to pick up a package of starter shims. They're not expensive, probably $4.00 at the local auto parts store. You don't want to get home, install the starter and then realize that you forgot the shim.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom