Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Control Valve

72LT-ONE

Corvette
1972 Sunflower LT-1
I am in the process of rebuilding the front suspenson on my 72 Roadster and am 1 joint (no....not that kind) from having it off the car. I need to seperate the pitman arm from the control valve. I cannot get a pitman arm remover in there because of the design...so the question is, do I beat the carp out of it with a ball joint removing tool? I really don't want to do that fearing damage to the CV. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

:w Mike,

I changed my out a few year back with a rebuilt one, I remember all too well laying under there talking to that $!@#@, I tried bigger hammers until I gave up and got the propane torch out, a little heat and a whack and it came apart ;)

I had my wife under there with the fire-ext. just incase ;) I'm sure there is an easier way, but the end of the pickle fork was starting to mushroom and my paitience wasn't the best, after several trips to Ace to get bigger hammers ;LOL

Bud

I would like to get it apart with little or no damage. I know the torch (my favorite tool) will help but there are things down there that don't like fire. If I were planning to replace it there would be no problem. I am trying to keep the car as original as I possible and really need to find out a non-destructive method. I thank you for your help...if push comes to shove, or in this case hit comes to smash, I'll just get another CV.

Thanks again,

M

getting the link off the pittmen arm?.

I just hammered until the thing came off...... (true I damaged the link and rubber joints ...but the pittmen arm was not hurt durring the process and I was replacing all the joints during my rebuild.so hammer away. (Again at the right spot. it will breack lose ................ (hopefuly) before you have to try Torch.
the bigger the hammer the better . the better the force.
but I know theres nt much room in there,
Im not much better then a shade tree mech so look for other posts.
good luck

Chuck-75 said:
I just hammered until the thing came off...... (true I damaged the link and rubber joints ...but the pittmen arm was not hurt durring the process and I was replacing all the joints during my rebuild.so hammer away. (Again at the right spot. it will breack lose ................ (hopefuly) before you have to try Torch.
the bigger the hammer the better . the better the force.
but I know theres nt much room in there,
Im not much better then a shade tree mech so look for other posts.
good luck

All I have to do now is go back to Autozone and trade the Pitman Arm removing tool for the picklefork.

Thanks again,

M

pitman arm

I went to Harbor frieght. (there located at different places around the country, -there a cheepy tool store-). but I bought them for 15 bucks, where at napa they wanted 75 bucks. I did a real good job splaying out this tool but it did finaly let loose, but what a pain .I had a 3 Lb. mallet.(metal,not rubber) .spray it with lots of WD-40 or any other lubricant and keep at it....
Geez this this price we all pay when we drive our nice cars and people just look and say.WOW. what a nice car man... lol. and we sit back and go ( I Know) ........ gotta do the hard work first.
so get out in yr garage and Hammer away........... Ive done it many of times. (when I had to).
youll be happy during the summer time.
good luck. by the way I just finished my 75 vert front and rear suspension last summer, working on getting the engine compartment and new crate engine installed this summer.

Seems like I was able to the the ball joint separator to get mine apart. But this was after several attempts with several other instruments of destruction before. The only bad thing I did was mangle the threads of the CV and wound up having to get the new control valve anyway.

I appreciate the info. BTW that's a beautiful ride! Are those American Racing wheels?

M

I wouldn't beat on it with a hammer. While the pitman arm might look good it can't be good for the bushings in the steering box not to mention destroying a control valve. I ran into this alot too and used a puller.
Any time force is used something gets damaged.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom