Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering lock cable.

frost

Corvette
1988 black/red Z51
Hi,
Has anybody had to replace the steering lock cable? That is the cable that runs from the shifter to the steering column. Mine broke at the point were it is anchored to the column. To remove the key I have to reach in and move the switch on the column upward. It looks like a very tight fit under there. Is there an easy way to replace it?

Bill,

I sure don't know of any shortcuts.

In the mean time, can't you rig the cable back so it does not lock?

No. As soon as you start the car the lock for the key is moved. In order to remove the key you have to reset the switch in the column.

I wouldn't drive the car in that condition; your steering wheel could lock on you at a most inappropriate time and I don't think you'd want that. :nono

_ken :w

Hi Ken,

Actually to lock the wheel you have to push the lock upwards so it won’t lock as you drive. Anyway with my clutch hydraulics not working I am not driving it right now.

The only reason I brought it up Bill was because of the fact that I'm swapping the 4+3 for a ROD 6-speed. In the installation instructions, they make a point of securing the cable mechanism when you remove the 4+3 linkage. Just wanted to make sure you were aware of that, I wasn't questioning your judgement. ;)

Hi Ken,
No problem. I would like to go your route, but the money is short. Thanks for the advice. I don’t get to talk to Corvette people so there is a lot of knowledge out there that I would like to know. I wish I knew it all, but I don’t.

It will not lock the steering wheel it would only keep you from pulling the shifter from park or reverse or keep you from being able to remove the key, so yes it can be secured with out any problems safty wise.

David Fulcher

There ya go Bill, I just learned something new, and now that I think about it a little more, it makes sense that the wheel is not locked by the cable anyway but by the key. :eek:

Thanks David for clearing that up. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom