Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Weirdness - Need Hypotheses

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
Hi All;
Working on my 89 IROC Convertible. Yes, it has 200815 miles - still running great and strong. Now first, obviously the front suspension pieces are worn.... or are they? I need to help in deciphering the specific problem I'm having at the moment; need some theories. Please consider the following.

First the Problem: The car moves a lot from side to side while I'm driving it. It is hard to keep her straight. Now BEFORE SAYING ANYTHING read everything below and THEN see if you have a hypothesis:

1) BRAND NEW TIRES put on last week - BF Goodrich KDW's
2) The old KDW's had over $50K miles WITH NO ODD WEARING on the tires. No extra wear on the inside or outside. PERFECT wear pattern even on suspension that has $200K miles on it.
3) Steering gear box slack has been completely removed. I know how to do this so that was the first obvious thing to try. Now what happens is she will wonder even though you can feel the gearbox slack is completely tight. I cannot take up any more slack.
4) There is nothing obviously worn. Ball joints, tie rod ends, lower control arm bushings, sway bar, etc etc all look great (believe it or not). When jacked up no looseness whatsoever.
5) Car does not pull to the left or the right. It just decides to go left or right because of the road. Then, when I go to correct I have to turn it a lot to get any reaction from the front end.

I want to say it is either a bad idler arm or something really strange is going on with the steering gear box itself. If anyone has any suggestions here I'd surely like to hear it!!!

Dawn

Even though you have the adjustment tightened all the way on the steering box it may still have some play in it. You can't check for loose ball joints with the car jacked up. Take it to a reputable shop and have it checked on an alignment machine. Most shops will do this for free and tell you what needs to be replaced to do a proper alignment.:thumb

Also check and VERIFY that the steering box is SECURELY
attached to the frame. I had one come loose on me, and it
gave me similar "wierd" steering.
Andy :w

208000 miles!

Have all the front suspension components checked by a suspension service shop in fact...if you're going to keep the car, you ought to just replace all of it. 200K miles is well past the design durability of those parts.

Also make sure the unit body structure around the steering gear is not cracked.

Of course, would love to replace it all but am too broke to do that at the moment. I can barely keep them maintenanced. I definitely plan to keep her - she still is running strong, looks great (paint faded slightly), and is a collectible. They didn't make very many IROC convertibles, and she is black no less. :) I will check the steering gear box more closely; never even thought about it being cracked! I really don't want to go to a shop to have things checked out because I don't trust shops. Every time I'm forced to go because of something I can't do on my own (like A/C) something bad happens to the car. What I don't want is to plunk $4K into rebuilding the front suspension to fix the problem and find out its the steering gearbox! :ugh

Also check and VERIFY that the steering box is SECURELY
attached to the frame. I had one come loose on me, and it
gave me similar "wierd" steering.
Andy :w

Doh!!!! I never thought of that although its never been removed but I'll go and check that right now!!

First thing,If you have a even ware pattern on the old tires.Slip the plastic cover back on the steering column shaft at box and check out the Rag Joint!Worn out or weak Rag will cause a wander as you describe!~!!:thumb

2nd Thing, Rear Differential shift will do the same! Check All Bushings at the Rear!:thumb

Things that are listed below,Will usually (But not always.) cause ab-normal tire ware!:thumb

Check for bent or damaged Struts,Check the upper strut mounts,Rubber Cracks,Old Rubber will collapse and bearings ware out!:thumb

Ball joints,control arm bushings,tie rods,center link and idler arm on your car need to have the suspension loaded out near the ball joint on control arm,And then checked for movement with a pry bar!~!!(I use 2 jack stands when checking them on the floor! Or I use the Rack jacks when checking on a alignment rack!)

PS Have you checked the front wheel bearings to see if they are loose?

Attachments

• 89 Cam 2.jpg
    89 Cam 2.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 89 Cam 1.jpg
    89 Cam 1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 81

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom