Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

steering wheel locked while driving!

S

Silver97

I have a 97 and while I was driving the sterring wheel locked on me, the computer said the following message " system control lock" and the car turned off. Has anyone heard of a recall to fix this problem or has anyone had the same problem? I was lucky and was driving out of the office but I would hate to image this happening on the freeway.

GM does not want to pay for the repairs, any suggestions on who I need to talk to?

I would mention my local attorney's name to GM. If the car has never had any damage, sounds like a problem they should fix out of warranty.

Silver97 said:
I have a 97 and while I was driving the sterring wheel locked on me, the computer said the following message " system control lock" and the car turned off. Has anyone heard of a recall to fix this problem or has anyone had the same problem? I was lucky and was driving out of the office but I would hate to image this happening on the freeway.

GM does not want to pay for the repairs, any suggestions on who I need to talk to?

Can you give more details? What speed were you driving at? Road/driving conditions? How were you able to handle the car once the steering wheel locked, etc?

Thank you all for the replys, Spoke with my attorney and said that if an accident had occured I would have a strong case, lucky for me no one got hurt.

I was driving in normal weather at bout 15 mph and about to get on a freeway. The car shut off and I was able to slow down to a stop on the edge of the road. The road was turining so I went straight (could not steer in any direction) and stoped. GM sent a tow truck and sent it to the dealership.

I know things break in cars but I beleive that this is really bad. HAve you heard of it happening before?

I have personal experience, GM will pay at the threat of legal action, if they think you have a good case. I had to get a lawyer, tho.

one time I started my car while I was in my garage and not moving. I heard a click..click noise in the stearing column and it locked up, motor still running. I turned it off and restarted it. It was ok. Good thing I was not moving.

Have you had your steering column modified to comply with the Electronic Column Lock recall? Seems to me that this could fall under the recall, so the dealership should handle this at no charge to you.

If I remember correctly...

I thought I saw a recall for 97s to reflash the PCM because of an occasional problem where the engine would shut off.

"SOME OF THESE VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A CONDITION IN WHICH THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) RESETS, CAUSING A DIAGNOSTIC TEST CODE (DTC) P1518 TO BE SET AND, IN SOME CASES, REDUCED ENGINE POWER OR AN ENGINE SHUT DOWN TO OCCUR."

Don't know if it's related or not, but I think you can read something about this particular recall at

http://calid.gm.com/vci/bulletins/97040.htm

Silver 97,

I have the same car and had the same problem. The dealer will not fix it because it is way out of warranty. Even though GM admits there is a problem with the column lock in the C5's up until like 2001, the recall only went as far back as the 98 model year. I got this straight from the head serivce guy and my local dealership. So instead of having them charge me for a new column lock and labor, I bought a column lock bypass for $60(from c5 solutions or corvettes of houston) and installed it myself in 30 minutes. No more scarry episodes of being stuck somewhere or having it lock up while driving. I remember someone selling one on another board, if you are interested I can find his email address for you. Good luck!

Thank you all for your responds,

I got my car back from the dealership it costed $525 they promised me that this will never happen again because they claim to have removed the part all together and replaced it with a new system?

I have my lawyer looking into this but he said I don't have much of a case. However if any one else has had this problem you need to report it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The more complaints they get the better the chances of a national recall.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom