Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Wheel Restoration / Interior Carpet and Doors

ajlsro

Hey guys and gals!

Anybody recommend a budget friendly steering wheel restorer for a 92 lt1? The stitching has come apart and Id like to get it completly repaired. Tired of the cheap whell cover that looks like Im driving a grocery getter. ha ha

Also, Im wanting to change out all of the interior to a new color - from tan to grey. I've looked at midamerica for the door panels, you know, currently they're 2 tone, black and tan. I can't seem to find replacements for those. Any ideas? Also, is the carpet replacement a do it yourself or should I just pay a restorer to do it right?

Thanks for any suggestions and or comments!

How about a WheelSkins steering wheel cover, real leather, & they stich up real nice. got one for mine but haven't had a chance to install it yet. the rest of your post i cant help you with.:beer

You can install the carpet yourself, it's really not that hard, but everything has to come out of the interior, all the trim pieces, the console sides, seat belts, etc.

steelblue75 said:
How about a WheelSkins steering wheel cover, real leather, & they stich up real nice. got one for mine but haven't had a chance to install it yet. the rest of your post i cant help you with.:beer
I had this Girl at the 92 Bloomington Show Do Mine in my 78!! She Did it right in the car!! Took her about 30 min!! It was $175.00 then!! Still Look's real nice too!! But I'v only driven it 3,500 mi in the last 10 year's!!:upthumbs junk!!

Steering Wheel Restoration Do it Yourself C4

If you really want to save some money and don't mind spending an afternoon you can do it all yourself. I bought a "kit" from Alan Gun Leather (AGLAUSA.C OM). It is made to fully replace the entire leather cover, spokes included and look original. More than a simple Wheelskin that covers only the rim of the wheel. They will do it for you if you send them your wheel (and money). They have loaner wheels too.

If your budget can't aford even that you can go further and kit it yourself. I did. I didn't like the color of the Kit I bought. I have a white 35th Anniversary and it seemed too white. So I looked at it and decided I could rekit it.

First carefuly cut all the laces holding the cover on your wheel. Take off the leather carefuly. It will be your template for the new piece. Cut the old cover so you can lay it out flat.

Buy a piece of leather on e-bay. Lots of colors available. Get some lacing twine ..maybe carpet store? I got mine at a marine store.

Cut the new leather using the old/original as a guide. Leave some extra length!!! You have to sew the new cover's ends together later.

Fold the new piece in half and use an awl to poke holes in it spaced about like the original. Folding it allows you to punch two holes at a time that are reasonably closely lined up across from each other and equal in number. That's a good thing when it comes to lacing it on the wheel.

Once it's to shape and holes are punched then sew the ends together so it just fits over the wheel. Then lace it up. IT gets a bit trickey at the end of the spoke cover. Fold the leather back under itself there. Patience.

Mine took an afternoon. IT looks OK. Not quite a good as new. Way better than old. I think the people at AGLA could do it better since they get more practice.

I also replaced the leather on the horn button. Same idea. I didn't try steam to stretch it, but that might be a good idea. Used 3M 90 spray glue and black spring paper clips to hold it. Used same leather as on the wheel

PS: If the padding under the leather is shot it can be replaced too. Use the stuff I've seen put on the outside of band speaker boxes. It's about 1/8" thick grey/black "carpet" material. More like thick felt than carpet. Glue it on.

When I bought my 90 in July, it had a lousy looking wheel. Pretty bad scuff marks on the top 1/3rd of the rim.

I called around and everbody quoted my $238 for a rewrap with some as high as 300.

I called Contemporary Corvette about a used one. They sent me a mint original and charge me $125 plus about $9 shipping. Hope that helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom