Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

steering wheel/ turn signal

K

kelly ott

On a '65 with no power steering...... The turn signal stalk is broken. I removed the horn button, the wheel, and the nut and washer behind them. Now what? Do I need a steering wheel puller to remove the collar- brute force gets me nowhere. And what else is gonna be involved in this repair? Can't find a stalk in the Mid America catalog- is it still a GM number available at the dealer? If someone can walk me through this, then I'd appreciate it. The service manual shows many things for the steering system, but nothing as mundane as "stalk, turn signal, broken, repair and replace." Thanks

Is the large threaded bolt facing out where the center of the steering wheel puller's nose is gonna go? And will the collar come off of the bolt..... with the serrations letting go? And will wires be connected anywhere to this collar? And will this all just get tapped back on with a block of wood and a 10 pound sledge when finished? All info ahead of time appreciated.... no sense getting half way into this and learning the hard way. Thanks

All right, I'm ready to give it a try. Thanks for the input. If anybody has an idea on the part that I will be replacing- who has it, part number, etc.- please let me know.

The collar popped right off- wow, easy. The crescent- shaped white piece was broken right at the bolt connecting the signal arm. Removed the arm and reglued the piece... hope it works, as I have seen no listing for it in a couple of catalogs. Chime in, though, if a thought occurs- Thanks for the help, y'all.

Directional Signal

I hope your fix works! However, if it doesn't it shouldn't be that difficult to find a new replacement directional switch: mine has been replaced several times over the years (I've had the car 38 years!). I'm not an expert in finding stuff, but have a friend that is. I'll be seeing him tomorrow on a club cruise and will ask him for sources.

BTW, this is a fairly common failure with the C2 'vettes. :hb

Save the wave! :beer

Fred

That part that broke is the cancelling cam and used to be available seperately from GM. It was the same part number in that time frame across all GM car and truck lines. You might try your dealer since it is a common and popular part to replace. Would sure be a lot cheaper than a complete switch.

Did you mark the sreering wheel so you can put it back on in the same orientation as it was? If not, you might leave it loose until you are sure the wheels and steering wheel are straight before you tighten the nut again. Also check Paragon Reproductions and Volunteer Corvette found in the Portal under parts and accessories for this part.

Tom

Turn signal fix

I had the same piece broken off by my grandson about 2 years ago. I found all of the catalogs had the part and I compared the prices, called and found the one that had it in stock and shipped the quickest. It was around $70. Check Zip, Corvette Central and Mid America...they should all have the part. Good Luck.

Welcome, Kerry,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom