Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Steering Won't Return To Center

USNA1969

Corvette
1972 Big Block/4-Speed
My steering tends to return to center after a turn, but never quite makes it all the way. Also, it seems to be neutral, that is, if I turn slightly to the right, it tends to stay there. Same for the slight turns to the left. Is this an aligment issue, like the camber setting? I haven't seen any abnormal wear on the tires, although I only put 5K miles on it in the year I've owned it.

Hi there :w

First thing I'd do and suggest would be to check the power steering fluid level ;) .. there is a cold setting and one for hot fluid checks. Also check for leaks in your power steering system e.g. pump, hoses, ram and control valve. Last I would check the control valve adjustment. I know the proceedure is around here somewhere, and if you need it I'm sure we can find it ;)

Good luck

Bud

Rare81, wouldn't a worn gearbox / worm gear also potentially cause this?

USNA, do you have any slop in the wheel when it's centered, meaning excessive left and right movement from center without affecting the actual steering?

Rare81, wouldn't a worn gearbox / worm gear also potentially cause this?

USNA, do you have any slop in the wheel when it's centered, meaning excessive left and right movement from center without affecting the actual steering?

It would ;) but I tend to start with the easy stuff first, eliminate them then move on to more expensive repairs ;LOL.... nice call Andre'

Bud

Check the aligment and the control valve balancing. If the box was worn then you would have a lot play in it on center. I just had to go back over balancing the rod after the car was still drifting to the right after an alignment. Disconnect the ram from the bracket with the fornt up in the air. Center the wheel a start the car- does the rod pull to one side or stay centered?

The other key contributor to straight tracking and steering returnability is the caster setting; with power steering, crank in all the positive caster you can, usually around 3* - 3.5* is about all you can get. Makes a BIG difference.

:beer

Bud,
The system is good for leaks and the steering box is in good shape, as is the rag joint. I've adjusted the slack out of the steering by backing off the 5/8 in bolt and tightening the adjustment screw.
I'll look for the procedures for the control valve. I remember seeing it before on another thread, but can't remember the details.
Thanks for your help.
Rick

John,
Bud recommended checking the control valve, which I'll do.
If that doesn't help, I'll go for the alignment. However, I don't have the original size tires - I have P245/60R15. Will the full caster adjustment affect tire wear or other handling characteristics?
Thanks for your help,
Rick

My steering tends to return to center after a turn, but never quite makes it all the way. Also, it seems to be neutral, that is, if I turn slightly to the right, it tends to stay there. Same for the slight turns to the left. Is this an aligment issue, like the camber setting? I haven't seen any abnormal wear on the tires, although I only put 5K miles on it in the year I've owned it.

You can adjust and tighten up the steering box. Its been awhile since I've done it. I recall having to raise the car from the center, both wheels off the ground. Once up there is adjustment that can be made with the bolts on the power steering box. Anyone have the instructions??

Jim

John, However, I don't have the original size tires - I have P245/60R15. Will the full caster adjustment affect tire wear or other handling characteristics?
Thanks for your help,
Rick

It will track and return better, and will have no effect on tire wear; steering effort will also increase, particularly at low speed, but that's not noticeable with power steering.

:beer

Steering/Align

Just thought I'd share this, I had a 70 coupe Blue on Blue, ( too much Blue), it had a non-original 400 small block, it ran unbelievable, had power every where, anyway, I put headers and alum. intake on it, we figured we eliminated about 40 lbs. compared to the cast factory parts. There wasn't huge gains in performance, since it ran so nice to begin with. I noticed on the highway at higher speeds that it would wander where it didn,t before. My alignment shop, who is the only shop that worked on all of my Vette's because they always did an outstanding job, judging by the way the car felt. Anyway, I explained what I did, he suggested putting 1/2 degree of caster over factory settings and it made a world of difference.You would't think that 40 lbs. mattered, adding caster adds to the weight on your front tires, from a leverage point of veiw.

This sounds to me like your power steering assist is shot, or your power assist mounting bushings are shot. This is the thing that looks like a shock absorber attached to your tie rod links. Check it out... the mount is on the drivers side to the chasis.

Dave

Get the alignment checked, it sounds like it could be an alignment problem so I would start with that because it is a fairly simple fix. Im sure you guys already know this, but there is 3 parts to an alignment. Toe, Camber, and Caster. Toe is basically the angle in which each wheel is aiming, Camber is the angle of how the wheel sits on the ground (i.e. if you camber is too far out the outer tread on your tire will wear faster than the rest of the tire because it is leaning more on the outter part of the tire.) And finally (to get back on topic..sorry) the Caster is basically what causes the wheel to return back to center after turning. How is your alignment otherwise? Do you notice any pulling while driving, or abnormal tread wear? If so its definitely an alignment issue. But like I said its pretty cheap (we charge $65 I believe)for a front end alignment, so personally I'd get it checked either way. Sorry for the long post. ;-)

80vetteL82

The control valve is ok and i had the alignment checked - it was within spec. The steering doesn't pull either way. If I point it straight ahead, that 's where she goes. But it won't return all the way back after a turn. Sometimes, though, something seems to be "binding" when turning.

Muddy,
How would I tell if it's the pump. It doesn't leak and there isn't any noise coming from it. I always thought the pump was one of those items that let you know it ready to fail by making a lot of noise.
Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom