Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: stereo amp location on 1972

72blackvet

Corvette
1972 black coupe
i am changing my radio from mono to stereo and i don't know the location of the stereo amp. could someone post a picture or give me some direction. thanks

i am changing my radio from mono to stereo and i don't know the location of the stereo amp. could someone post a picture or give me some direction. thanks

On my '71 it was right ahead and under my right speaker.

Attachments

• 1971 Corvette Radio Amplifier 001.jpg
    1971 Corvette Radio Amplifier 001.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 123
stereo amp location

your picture shows the mono amp location, but the stereo amp is larger and the mounting brackets will not work in that location.

your picture shows the mono amp location, but the stereo amp is larger and the mounting brackets will not work in that location.

I didn't feel like pouring my money into 45 year old technology when modern radios perform so much better and are so much easier to repair. I had sent my '82's radio in for repair about 10 years ago and the needed part was no longer available. When I was told that I realized it was pointless to even think about trying to repair these old radios. There comes a time when it's pointless to beat an already dead horse.

@ 72Blackvet - The amp for the U79 radio mounts above and to the right of radio to the bottom side of the windshield frame. If you have a assembly manual, look in the option U79 section which shows how it all fits together. Somewhere I have pictures of the amp mounted in my '72 coupe when I had the whole dash assembly out. Email me at rpstephenson72@gmail.com and I will send them to you.

It's a pretty easy conversion, if you have all the pieces for the stereo radio. The mounting holes are already punch in the windshield frame from the factory. so no guessing exactly where the amp mounts.

@ 2Broke - ragging on about 45 year old technology isn't helpful & doesn't answer the OP original question.

042.jpg 043.jpg

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom