Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sticky Center of Steering wheel on C5

robear

Corvette
2013 427, 2003 50th Anniversary
I have a 2003 50th Anniversary edition Corvette. I recently noticed that the center of my steering wheel where the air bag is stored that the outside cover, also where the horn is, has a sticky substance on it. It is sticky like glue. I don't no exactly what I can use without damaging the plastic material. I do know that lighter fluid is too strong and might damage it. I wondered if anyone else has had this problem with their C5. I'm going to my dealer tomorrow to have something else fixed so I'll ask my Service Advisory if he knows what to do or if this is a problem due to the air bag possibly leaking.

I have a 2003 50th Anniversary edition Corvette. I recently noticed that the center of my steering wheel where the air bag is stored that the outside cover, also where the horn is, has a sticky substance on it. It is sticky like glue. I don't no exactly what I can use without damaging the plastic material. I do know that lighter fluid is too strong and might damage it. I wondered if anyone else has had this problem with their C5. I'm going to my dealer tomorrow to have something else fixed so I'll ask my Service Advisory if he knows what to do or if this is a problem due to the air bag possibly leaking.
I have the same issue, believe it's the leather upholstery spray.. I may have used armor all on it. Let me know what you find I would appreciate it.

That's a common problem, but I don't remember what the cause or the remedy is. My experience and research says don't use Armorall on any leathers or plastic though. Armorall has chemicals in it that dry the plastic out and eventually causes it to crack.

It's a common issue as the plastic outgasses and gets sticky, worse if the car is parked outside in hot climates.
Use Ammonia to take it completely off. Get ready to scrub though because it does not come off easy!
Many videos out there on how to do it.

I know this is an old thread, but perhaps this will help someone else. My 50th Anniversary Convertible steering wheel’s dye was in bad shape, with lots of black pigment Vice the proper color. I googled interior paint and got this Medium Dark Neutral (Interior Color) 52/WA9648 Touch Up Paint for 2003 Chevrolet Corvette from

looks brand new And didn’t cost an arm and leg to ship to Hawaii. I then used it on my Travel Buddy two-cup cup holder. Great results, and it was real easy.
IMG_1052.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpeg
    IMG_1054.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1055.jpeg
    IMG_1055.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom