Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Still Looking for that Oil Leak

gkurtz

Corvette
92 Bright Red Convertable
I'm still looking for that slight oil leak. Got under the car and checked it out. Everything looks dry. The oil pan, filter, intake...
I wiped the cross menber down, and looking with a flash light I saw a hose behind the rear of the oil pan. Maybe from an oil cooler? Does my car come with a stock cooler? Well it looks shiny like it might have oil on it. Where does the hose connect that I saw? The engine block? Any information would help.

If you look at your RPO codes under your console lide you should see a sheet with a bunch of codes on them. After you have those you can go here Corvette Model Center and find out if your car has a oil cooler or not.

Justin

Keep looking. Need a more specific area you're looking at where the oil is. From your description so far, I'd look at the power steering resevoir, if you don't see anything else.

The 92 LT1 did not come with a factory oil cooler - optional or otherwise. They required to Mobil 1 instead.

Tuna said:
The 92 LT1 did not come with a factory oil cooler - optional or otherwise. They required to Mobil 1 instead.
The cooler is located below the radiator and appears to be aluminum. I need to check it out further. Being a new corvette owner I am not all that familiar with the car yet. I own and know most chevy/gm products pretty well and will learn this one too. I will keep looking for the leak. Possibly related to the wet hose I found. Maybe it isa power steering hose leak.I do appreciate all the great help that this site offers. You guys are awsome.

gkurtz said:
The cooler is located below the radiator and appears to be aluminum. I need to check it out further. Being a new corvette owner I am not all that familiar with the car yet. I own and know most chevy/gm products pretty well and will learn this one too. I will keep looking for the leak. Possibly related to the wet hose I found. Maybe it isa power steering hose leak.I do appreciate all the great help that this site offers. You guys are awsome.
Is that the auto trans cooler or power steering fluid cooler?

Try checking behind the intake manifold seal near the windsheild, vettes as well as small block chevy's are known to always have leaks starting from back there.................it was the case with my car and a few of my friends car's as well.

Tuna said:
Is that the auto trans cooler or power steering fluid cooler?
It would have to be a power steering cooler. I have a six speed tranny. Thanks, I will trace the hose and see if it goes to that cooler.

Da Hawaiian Punch said:
Try checking behind the intake manifold seal near the windsheild, vettes as well as small block chevy's are known to always have leaks starting from back there.................it was the case with my car and a few of my friends car's as well.
I checked the gasket in the rear of the manafold. Its looks bone dry.

JonM said:
Click on the link I provided above...its a kit for locating leaks using ultra violet light...cost is a little high at 70 bucks....but you may get it locally a little cheaper.
Thanks for the info.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom