Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stingray Badge

hdkeno

Corvette
2005 Victory Red coupe
I believe this discussion was brought up some time earlier this year or so,but i wanted to get some feedback.

I was pondering the idea of perhaps putting the "Stingray" badges on my 81's fenders.
Yes, I know after 76 GM took them off, but as on member mentioned some time ago on the forum,"its like imiatating your big brother,and the fenders look kind of bare without anything on them.
And others liked the crossed flags instead.

What are your ideas, and opinions on this?

Im mulling it over for now,and want to get your feedback to sway me either way.

As you can see in my avatar,my 81 is a early BG two tone.(not that really matters,I dont think anyway.)

As always thanks in advance. Ken

My L81 Corvette Stingray

Ken

I installed "Stingray" badges on my 81's fenders about five years ago. I like them.
Back in the mid 70's I had heard that it was not known from year to year because of new Federal laws, pollution problems,polution component rquirements, pollution laws, very high Gasoline prices and shortages and low horse power and very low compression, that Corvettes may have to be discontinued , so when they ran out of Stingray badges in mid 76 ,GM decided not to produce anymore just in case Corvettes had to be discontinued.I think some 76s had Stingray badges and some didn't .76 Vettes were now rated at 180 horsepower as engineers were beginning to grasp the emissions regulations and the L82 was 210 horsepower. Both engines breathed in through four-barrel carburetors.Inside, the '76 Corvette got a new four-spoke steering wheel similar to that used on the Vega and Camaro. a wheel that was instantly despised by most enthusiasts —Fortunately I think in 76 sold over 46,000 Vettes and they were not discontinued.

I like the "Stingray" badges, some people don’t,

Attached is a picture of my Vette: If you want to see a better picture just let me know and I will send one to you via EMAIL.:cool http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11981&d=1166231538

I do not find it surprising that you may have desired to affix "Stingray" badging to the 81. For years I have wanted to contract a badge maker for a pair of L81's badges for my Vette's hood....:L

Personalizing one's car is part of the Americana culture. One way or another most of us covet a small but personal special identity with our cars -be it naming cars, tricking them, changing them, personalizing them.

That is exactly what Don Yenko, Joel Rosen, Joe Gibb, John Lingenfelter, and others in fact did. Their advanced views on how the muscle car could be improved was also the way for the big auto makers to advance the automobile industry.

Besides, there are only two types of Vette owners -the one that seeks independent identification with their Vette (the modifier type), and the one that seeks the collective recognition from within their peers (the NCRS type). There really can't be there one without the other.

So you have my vote, Ken.

GerryLP:cool

I like the clean bodyparts :) And a nice two tone doesn't need any badgets i think.

Groeten Peter.

I saw a later C3 at a car show that had a 'Stingray' emblem screwed onto the headlight door, now that was tacky!!
When I got my car painted, I put a new rear bumper on it (flex-fit) and it didn't have holes for the 'Corvette' script, and the badge I had didn't look the greatest, so I left it off - for now. Same with the front, the previous owner put a different one on and filed the pins off of it and filled in the holes, so I left that off too. The only badge on the car anywhere is the one on the gas door - for now. I wasn't really happy with how the paint came out and I'm going to get it done again someday, hopefully soon, then I'll put the others back on. If anyone actually has to ask what my car is, I'll tell them it's a Ferrari!

Craig

Just an idea I have at present, is to make a badge to match my registration plate, "RAC3R"

As my partner is a graphic designer, we were thinking of getting a badge for the glovebox lid (I also like less on the outside) with "Stingracer" matching the early C3 Stingray Script or the C2 "Corvette Stingracer" style script.

Will post when if/when complete for your entertainment.

Have a Great Xmas
:beer Grant

If anyone actually has to ask what my car is, I'll tell them it's a Ferrari!

Thats a good one Craig! :rotfl Here in Europe the automatically think its a Ferrari because there aren't that many Vette's around :)

Groeten Peter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom