Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

stopped by Amherst Classic Car to check on my body...OH MY!

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
We are getting real close.....I stopped by today and checked out where they are at....holy cow!!! The engine bay is now done. It has 40 hours of paint, wet sand and buff in it and does it look really GREAT! Looks like someone poured liquid red glossy plastic over the engine bay, it looks really good! Here are some photos....
GS8J9272Small-vi.jpg

GS8J9274Small-vi.jpg

GS8J9275Small-vi.jpg

GS8J9277Small-vi.jpg

They also painted and buffed out the center console and the seat divider. Again, it looked fantastic! Notice the reflection of the overhead lights on the center console. I took out the clock and the heater controls. Perhaps someday I will put them back in but right now they are out and 3 gages will go in there as well as the top rectangular opening is for the Dakota Digital switch that will control the hood opening and closing.
GS8J9278Small-vi.jpg

GS8J9279Small-vi.jpg

This is Dave, body/painter extraordinaire! he has done a very nice job and given how the engine compartment came out the body is going to be really special!!
GS8J9280Small-vi.jpg

Harry made a mold for the battery box that fits in right next to the spare tire opening in the trunk. It looks like it was always meant to be there! He used the mold to also make one of the battery boxes for holding the battery in his Willy's that he is putting together.
GS8J9281Small-vi.jpg

GS8J9285Small-vi.jpg

Harry walked me around the car and before they paint it they are going to go over it one last time looking for any little nicks or pits and clean them all up. he wasn't satisfied with the roundness of the rear wheel openings so he redid them!
I am taking the frame to a local shop that will adjust the caster, camber and align the front end so that when the body is dropped on it it will be just fine. I realize that the car should be "at ride height" but it isn't going to change or not change much. I should be in really good shape! This gets dropped off tomorrow and then on Saturday I pick it up and on Monday it goes back to ACC to be mated for the last time to the body. I expect to have the car back home in 7 to 14 days from Monday!!!! Stay TUNED!!!!
regards, Herb

Hi Herb
The body looks really good. I really like the firewall....can't wait to see the rest when it is painted
take care
Tom

are you using linear actuators for the hood?
I have been toying with the idea to use them in place of the vacuum cans on my 68, let me know how they work out.

Looks Excellent Herb,
Very talented Body Man...:beer

All I can say is WOW! Hope mine turns out that nice. Can't wait to see it done.

Although, I was told Black was Fastest.;)

Chuck

Herb

It looks great,I am so happy for you that you made such a great choice with your shop. You have heard the horror stories before so I am sure you also know how lucky (or skillful) you were with your shop,

Somebody over there is sweating the details, That battery tray is ingenious

Looks fantastic Herb! The body shop is doing a stellar job. You must be getting very excited.....I know I am, and it isn't my car.

Take care,
Brian

Hi Herb,

I haven't been to CAC for a while so it is great to stop by and see the awesome photos of your project. (Boy, I miss my 61!) You are making steady progress. The car looks fantastic! You must really be stoked at this point! Keep up the great work, the payoff is close at hand.
Regards,
Gary

are you using linear actuators for the hood?
I have been toying with the idea to use them in place of the vacuum cans on my 68, let me know how they work out.
yes, bought the Dakota Digital LA and their dual channel controller (if I wanted to add a second LA it will control both together).

A friend of mine who is doing a 62 is putting one in his as well. The trick will be how to conceal it after we have it in best we can and we haven't figured that out. The big thing to me was to get rid of those male and female hood latches as well as the cables that went to them. Again I wanted to have it be as clean as possible in the engine compartment. I want to also make the wiring as invisible as possible. I have seen too many cars with wires every where, I want the focus to be the electronic fuel injection cross ram framed by the motor comparment. I even had Harry add a wire conduit to keep the wires to the front of the car as invisible as possible. Will keep you informed.

All I can say is WOW! Hope mine turns out that nice. Can't wait to see it done.

Although, I was told Black was Fastest.;)

Chuck
don't make me get a moderator to rule on that.....67 Heaven, where are you??????? Side note, BLACK is not a magazine cover color for a car my buddy that is building the 62 has been in a couple of magazines with his previous car, but it was BLACK and his new one is RED just for that reason. I happen to know it is fastest so I am having mine RED for that reason!!!!

Herb

It looks great,I am so happy for you that you made such a great choice with your shop. You have heard the horror stories before so I am sure you also know how lucky (or skillful) you were with your shop,

Somebody over there is sweating the details, That battery tray is ingenious
Harry has been building hot rods for more than 30 years and he is fantastic with glass. His high standards show up in the car. I just hope that my part of the car is up to the standards that he has set.

Looks fantastic Herb! The body shop is doing a stellar job. You must be getting very excited.....I know I am, and it isn't my car.

Take care,
Brian
I really am getting excited!!!! And nervous, I have a lot to come together to make this really work out. I talked with Al Knoch today because we are getting rid of the speaker in the dash and he had to do some tricks with the leather dash pad to do that and wanted me to know what needed to be done to make it perfect when it comes time to put the dash pad on.

The interior is fashioned after the C5 Z06 MOD RED/BLACK interior. Seats are black/red leather and the door panels are 62 with a red panel in it and the rest is black. Instrument cluster will be painted Torch Red as well to contrast with the black dash pad.

I have my fingers crossed that this will all come together.

Hi Herb,

I haven't been to CAC for a while so it is great to stop by and see the awesome photos of your project. (Boy, I miss my 61!) You are making steady progress. The car looks fantastic! You must really be stoked at this point! Keep up the great work, the payoff is close at hand.
Regards,
Gary
thanks Gary, yes it is like a kid on Christmas eve. I am ready for Christmas to come!!!!

Herb,
Sure looks alot different since I saw her last. Paint looks awsome,can see why your conserned about keeping it protected.
Cureous though.. if I decide to paint the 68, how far away is Harry??

Herb,
Sure looks alot different since I saw her last. Paint looks awsome,can see why your conserned about keeping it protected.
Cureous though.. if I decide to paint the 68, how far away is Harry??
Harry is in Amherst, a mile from where I work. Here is a link to his website http://www.amherstclassiccars.com/index.htm

If you talk to him, let him know that you saw his work on line from postings of Herb Turner and his '60 vette.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom