Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Storage???

RHS

Corvette
2007 Victory Red Corvette Convertable
I will be storing my vet this winter. I am not sure what I should do. I'm planning to use a trickel charger to hold the battery. I plan to store it with a full tank of gas, and it will be covered. I might add it will be in a heated garage for about four months.
With my hotrod I would shut off the elec fuel pump and run the carb out of gas then switch the battery off with the kill switch. Not at all sure about the vet. Does this sound like the way to store it ? I would appreciate any advice you may have.

I will be storing my vet this winter. I am not sure what I should do. I'm planning to use a trickel charger to hold the battery. I plan to store it with a full tank of gas, and it will be covered. I might add it will be in a heated garage for about four months.
With my hotrod I would shut off the elec fuel pump and run the carb out of gas then switch the battery off with the kill switch. Not at all sure about the vet. Does this sound like the way to store it ? I would appreciate any advice you may have.

run tank near empty
put in Stabil and fill up tank
do a oil change
park it in garage
take negative cable off battery
say see you the spring
put on car cover

Don't use a trickle charger as it will boil the battery fluid - use a battery tender instead. I have a heated garage, and this is what I do for storage. I remove the wheels and clean the inside rims then put back on car, lubricate the weatherstripping, vacuum and clean the carpets and floor mats, clean and treat the leather seats, remove the floor mats, loosen the latch on my 08 convertible top, add Ragg Topp protective conditioner to the convertible top, check the tire pressures, wax the car with either C-Magic or Zaino, fill the gas tanks and add Stabil, check oil life on DIC and change if below 60%. Place the 6 speed in reverse and set emergency brake and put on car cover. I do not disconnect the battery in case I have to get the cars out quickly (some owners prefer to start the cars at least once a month, I don't). I notify the State and Insurance Company that the cars are in storage to get reduced rates. Then I wait for Spring; however this year I am keeping the 02 coupe ready for action so that I can drive it during the winter if the weather and road conditions permit - won't have to drive a metal 4X4 to the corvette events this year. I am sure you will get other tips.
Barrett

Sorry mis spoke I bought a battery tender. I guess I need to get a bottle of stabil and read the instructions. My concern is the injecters.

I have parked my car for the past three winters with no problems. I do not use Stabil and cannot speak to that. However, giving it a good cleaning inside and out is a good suggestion.

I do make sure the tank is full before parking it too. Less chance for condensation in the tank to potentially corrode the metal parts of the fuel system.

As far as unhooking the negative terminal...would you have to use the electronic tool to reset the TPMS? The C5's could be reset with a magnet, the C6's need to be told electronically to send their signal.

Stabil in gas is a must, injectors - no worries if you use stabil, if not then you run the risk of fuel going bad. No worries about tire sensors, do not have to reprogram.

Battery chargers/trickle chargers/C -tech or whatever no reason to use them.

Disconnect the negative battery cable

Do not start car during Northern winter months, condensation is not your friend.

Also, we store our car in an unheated attached garage, what really makes a difference I find is keeping the ceiling fan running 24/7. Keeps the air moving which helps to keep the temp. more consistant throughout the garage. Most liquids will not freeze while the fan is circulating the air.

Winter Storage Tips (in NYS)

For my C6:
1 - Coat of wax & inside detail.
2 - Change Mobil 1 - 5W30 Oil & Filter (& Lube if a Z51 like mine).
3 - Trip to Gas Station, add 7oz of Stabil, top of tank & drive home.
4 - Up tire air pressure to +/- 45lbs.
5 - Garage & connect battery "Tender" (not charger).
6 - Cover & wait until Spring to start.
<<< Spring >>>
7 - Uncover
8 - Return tire air pressure to 30lbs.
9 - Inspect entire car over,
10 - Enjoy
* Remember to :w

Stabil in gas is a must, injectors - no worries if you use stabil, if not then you run the risk of fuel going bad. No worries about tire sensors, do not have to reprogram.

Battery chargers/trickle chargers/C -tech or whatever no reason to use them.

Disconnect the negative battery cable

Do not start car during Northern winter months, condensation is not your friend.

Also, we store our car in an unheated attached garage, what really makes a difference I find is keeping the ceiling fan running 24/7. Keeps the air moving which helps to keep the temp. more consistant throughout the garage. Most liquids will not freeze while the fan is circulating the air.

Some people start their cars at least once per month while in storage - it has been recommended in several Corvette magazines. If one starts the corvette during storage periods, the recommendations are for leaving the car running for at least 20 minutes to get the temp up to norm to eliminate the moisture from the exhaust system. This is where the moisture can do the most damage.
Barrett

Some people start their cars at least once per month while in storage - it has been recommended in several Corvette magazines. If one starts the corvette during storage periods, the recommendations are for leaving the car running for at least 20 minutes to get the temp up to norm to eliminate the moisture from the exhaust system. This is where the moisture can do the most damage.
Barrett

Agreed - you MUST run the engine for a while of you start it because of the water vapor. I usually run my machines at least every 3 weeks for 10 miles minimum when the weather and roads are clear. Then I pull the batteries out and leave them in the corner of a room inside ( no wife to object here :D ) with a trickle charge if/when my voltmeter shows declining charge. Leaving the car doors slightly open helps the weatherstripping remain in good condition after a good cleaning.

Heated garage... damm, that's GOTTA be nice!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom