Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Story of a Top.

Norseman

Corvette
2006 Blue Z51 Coupe/2004 STi for the snow.
Well about a year ago I brought my car in to my dealer to have the top looked at as there was suppose to be a problem with the outer layer peeling off and causing accidents. So in I go and the guy has me out in about 45 min saying it was one of the easier ones to fix, just had to add some adhesive foam. About 3 months later I start getting a cracking popping sound, it sounds like loud static in a radio, and it's driving me nuts; so I bring it back and am told it is just a loose top and he says he put in some shims or some such and it should now be fine. OK. So I leave, and about a month later the same thing happens again-crap. I let it sit all winter and then when spring comes and it warms up, off I go and the first hot day that comes along pop, pop, pop-crap. So I bring it back and this time he installs some insert in the holes where the top latches down and says that should fix the problem! I get about 2 blocks away and pop, pop, pop.:W
So I'm bringing it back to the dealer, and I'm thinking, I didn't have a problem until I had the top in for that recall service, so I turn around and go home and put my clear top on; popping cured.:)
Back to the dealer. I tell him my story and we look at my original repair sheet; sure enough the guy had added a glue-foam to the inside of my top and obviously it couldn't take the heat and was the cause of the noise. So I tell the shop manager; I think I remember reading that if you couldn't fix the top it would be replaced so; 'I want a new top.' He looks at me like I'm crazy and says just a min. I see him go into the owners office and they start talking and then make a phone call. I go get a free cup of coffee. Half an hour later, the shop manager comes up to me and says, "Survey says you get a new top." Well, am I ever glad I kept the original recall letter from GM.
So he has to order me a new top which doesn't come painted, the body shop does the painting by matching the color of the original top which he keeps and sends back to GM. I think I really lucked out on this one; if I ha den't had the clear top to try I might not have been able to prove it was the repare job causing the problem; and I really like the clear top too. I think I'll use it in the summer and the painted top in the winter.:beer

Norseman,
I'm delighted you got the satisfactory result of a replacement top- well done keeping that original recall letter.

But I'm curious: You live in Illinois- how much winter driving do you do in the Vette?

:w
-Patrick

Winter driving.

Patrick, I drive in the winter whenever the weather permits, uaually on weekends I've only got about 6,000 miles on my baby. The popping sound was the worse in warm to hot weather. I actually picked my Vette up during a Feb. snowstorm in 2006, I drove it home in a snowstorm and about 6 in. of snow-very slowly.:) It's actually nice to get into my car and see the "Icy Conditions Possible" warning and then using my seat warmers. LOL.
Ron

With all the posts about the C6 tops, I am almost leary of purchasing a C6 when I replace my C4 in the distant future. But, I can take Patrick's route and buy a convertible or a Z06. Anyway, always keep the bulletins, and I hope the new top works fine. On my 02 coupe, I rarely use the glass top in the summer as it gets pretty hot in the cabin. I usually put it on when the wife wants to cruise in our mountains. However, last Sunday, she opted for the painted top due to the heat. The A/C kept the cabin cool.
Barrett

Barrett, I think you have a great point. Glass in the Winter and painted in the summer.:cool I'm not really sure what other problems people are having with their removable roofs; but mine was just fine until I brought it in for that recall. I'm pretty sure they have solved the pealing problem by now; anyway if you do buy a C6 you'll be amazed at the difference; the car just feels tighter and no squeeks or rattles.:upthumbs

I had my top "foamed" by the dealership back in 2007. I have a C6Z so the top isn't supposed to come off ever. My top was tight, and it still is. I had a chance to talk to the "Vette Tech" while he was doing my car. (He had the skin off in 2 minutes flat.) He said "Practice makes perfect" as he's done about a hundred before mine. It seems like there's a problem with the adhesive not binding very well to the underside of the top. In fact, the material was changed mid model year 2007 because of this. (You can tell by removing and looking at the color of the underside. If it's white in color, than you have FRP. If you have black, then it's SMC.) You can tell as one is quite a bit heavier than the other. (The lighter one is replaced with the heavier one.) Anyway, it appears that HEAT is the "activator". Darker cars have a lower threshold than light color cars. Also, if you are in Phoenix in July, you'll have a better chance at a "fly away" top than Lincoln Neb during the winter arctic blast!

Best way to lessen your fly away top~ If you have a dark colored car, try to keep it in the shade and crack the windows (your interior will thank you too.) If you have a white C6 it's not going to be a problem.

What the heck is a C6Z? Not come off ever? FRP/SMC ? Do you mean a Z06?;shrug

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom