Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stowing my T-Tops?

72Blazerod

Corvette
1972 Sunflower Yellow Coupe (Bone Stock)
The 1972 Corvette that I recently bought does not have a t-top bag to put my roofs into but it does have the luggage rack on the rear deck lid. I have seen people put the roofs out back there, how do I do it? Up to this point, when I go topless I just leave my roofs at home which is not very practical. Also from '68-'72 the rear window pops out as well as the t-roofs coming off; what can I do with the window? Can you buy a t-roof bag for the roofs and the window? If so, who makes them and where do I get one?

Thanks,

Rod

72Blazerod said:
The 1972 Corvette that I recently bought does not have a t-top bag to put my roofs into but it does have the luggage rack on the rear deck lid. I have seen people put the roofs out back there, how do I do it? Up to this point, when I go topless I just leave my roofs at home which is not very practical. Also from '68-'72 the rear window pops out as well as the t-roofs coming off; what can I do with the window? Can you buy a t-roof bag for the roofs and the window? If so, who makes them and where do I get one?

Thanks,

Rod
Rod,

Haven't seen 'em or used 'em, but Eckler's catalog lists "Factory Style Roof Panel Bags" and "T-Top Suitcases" on page 68 of their catalog (www.ecklers.com). They mention "roof panel holders" on page 74 luggage rack section, but it's just a mention, they're not listed as an orderable item. Hope this helps.

Jim

Rod, I just put mine in back, but I do have a bag, at first I just wrapped them in towels and stowed them behind the seats. Try this site, these guys have the straps to put them on the luggage rack. http://vette.dreamteamtech.com/Good Luck Pc
GO SOONERS
;LOL :beer

You can try Mid America too. That is where I got my roof suitcase.

76okievette has the answer as to how the t-tops are stored on the luggage rack.

The rear window has a compartment under the rear deck. There should be a handle just below where the window goes. You pull on it and a panel should drop. The panel has some clips to hold the window and then is raised out of the way.

If you do just put them in the back, be very careful. They can easily scratch each other. And then you have a $500 paint job bill on the way to get them back to good paint condition. Ask me how I know this... :(

I just went to Walmart, got about 60" of soft material (black to match my interior) and my wife just used the sewing machine to triple up the sheets (24" X 30") and leave one side open. Sew on the velcro fasteners on the open side and voila $10.00 T-Top Bag.;)

I have a 72 coupe also.

Ecklers et all sell replacement T-Top bags for about $40. They do the job but are always a snug fit. The soft liner will sometimes catch on a rough edge too..

A WHOLE lot better than nothing, like Stallion said. I haven't tried the suitcase thing.

As for the rear window, There is a drop down tray for it. On a 72 it is a push button to open.

Be careful puting the window in and out of the tray. I scratched my glass on the latch as I was taking it out. :(

-Gööney0

Theresa made me one...

My wife sews, so it was easy to make for her.
Shes used a sheepskin seat cover material between the two....and a flap long enough to cover it well...velcro to close it.Had to buy a strap to hold it down.
Good luck.
Chas
PS...Look to e-bay for stuff as well...its amazing how much is there.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom