Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

straight pipe

D

dre2013

hey guys/gals, i want my '87 coupe to be louder... Thinking of going with a straight pipe, while keeping the cats. Anyone else have this setup? how does it sound? how loud? thanks,
James

I had the Monza mufflers on an '87, and after the fiberglass blows out, they are basically straight pipe... I loved the sound! I like the sound of a 350 though... I would go for it, but save the factory mufflers in case you don't like it, or the next owner doesn't like it

I am running the 'muffler elminators' as people like to call them. The car is not too loud be you can hear it for sure. My fiance and I can still talk and hear the radio no problem, even with the top down. At cruise on the interstate, it is just as quiet as almost everything else and has a really nice purr to it. We both really like it

:bu

welcome-myLT1-'93-is running straight pipes after the resonator and sounds great- not loud enough to be too noisey in the car but nice rumble outside-my neighbor says its not as loud as my '97 was with the borlas on it-ie it doesn't rattle his pictires on the walls-hardly noticeable at cruising speeds but you know it when you punch it!!!!!:w

Well, my sound taste was definitely developed as a hot rodder of the sixties. To me, regardless of what you do with these systems, you still have one common pipe. It just doesn't sound right to me. Mine had an aftermarket cat and burned out targa pipes when I got it. It was loud enough but still sounded whimpy to me because of the common exhaust.

To me, you just can't beat the sound of a separate exhaust system for each bank without a crossover. I know, I know, an adequate common system or a dual with a crossover will flow better, but I guess the sounds I grew up with are those that sound best to me.

I had the offroad pipes and dyno max on mine for awhile and it sounded fabulous but was too loud. The cat, even the honeycomb aftermarket does a lot of muffling, so the mufflers today are designed with the already cat muffled exhaust in mind.

Since we're stuck with the cats, I think the burned out targa pipes sounded better than my Dyno Max mufflers, and I expect the Dyno Max are not much quieter than a straight pipe.

My $0.02,

I have an '85 with the ZR1 type mufflers (?) from Mid America. In my day we called them "straight pipes" :) You can drop a quarter through them without hitting either side. It is loud but not too loud. And it does sound good but I miss the rumble and the rap from glass paks.

LarryBible has it right though. The Vet still does not sound as good as my '55 Chevy with it's 350 and glass paks. Nothing like the rap you hear when you wind it out in 2nd gear. I suppose headers, two seperate pipes and no Cats would make it sound as good as the Chevy. DEQ would hate that idea though! :)

i took of the resonator and mufflers off and ran 2.5" pipe from the cats back. its as loud as a sidpipe midyear accelerating and 1st through 3rd gears then it drops in 5th and 6th to a normal range. idle sounds great!!!!!!!!! i have an lt4

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom