Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

strange error message "SYS"

N

nottheliving

where my c4 usually displays the range, avg mpg, and current mpg, it has been giving me a strange error message.......it says "SYS" and blinks back and forth between that and the normal display....does anyone know what it is and how i would go about fixing it?? thank you

You give no model year, but "SYS" is the same as "Check Engine Soon." Check for codes and come back with some more specific information.

how/where do i get "codes" (im kinda new to all this)

Mine did that and turned to be the battey was dying.

Re: how/where do i get "codes" (im kinda new to all this)

nottheliving said:

You still did not mention the year model of Corvette you have. :L

Try this: 1997-2000: Diagnostic Trouble Codes. That'll at least give you an idea of how to check for stored codes. ;)

_ken :CAC

I'm with grapeknutz on this one - when my car does this, it's a sign that the battery is dying and not holding proper voltage.

Check the battery volts.

Have you installed an aftermarket radio recently? If not it is probably the battery.

I was released from SYS hell with the resistor fix on a JVC radio.

Tim

yes, just a week ago i had an aftermarket headunit installed ...........how do i go about making the sys go away??please help,...its making me crazy

tlong said:
Have you installed an aftermarket radio recently? If not it is probably the battery.

I was released from SYS hell with the resistor fix on a JVC radio.

Tim
could you give more info on the resistor fix? like what kind, where you put it etc. i put some resistors in to fix mine (as instructed by another post) but it didn't work

The SYS is Chinese water torture. It means "electrical SYStem". If you put in a different radio the brain finds a fault in the dimmer control circuit. It means getting 2 tiny resistors from radio shack, 1.5 millivolt I think, and putting them in the power and dimmer lines.

There is a post under SYS on the forum that has the exact resistor info, a schematic, and even the color wires to work with. Just search through.

If you can't find it I'll try to locate my hard copy I took to the radio shop.

It stopped the error cold. I know how annoying it is.

Tim

SYS - ERROR

I'm at a loss...... I recently purchased aTerrific Alpine Head Unit Model CDA-9813. I had the unit installed in my 96 LT1 Vette.

Well sometime later after a few hours of listening to some nice toons on my new MP3 ready Alpine Unit the dreaded SYS light appears! ! !

I read thru the posts (Which have beed a HUGH help with most questions) and went back to the installer! Come to find out they DID NOT connect the dimmer switch to the harness.

Well after they reconnect the dimmer switch I felt the problem was corrected! Heck! After some more good tunes and a couple hours of happy motoring! Heck! The dreaded SYS LIGHT appears again flashing!

Could this need to be reset? Or prehaps a battery issue. The guages read fine!

Any suggestions/comments?

:confused

As I recall you need to install a resistor inline with the pos line to fool the computer, what the valve of the reisitor is I heard to use 100 Ohm , but don't quote me on this!

SYS

You have to get them to go back in and put a 1K Ohm, 1/2 Watt resistor in both the power and dimmer line.

Radio Shack. $3.

There is a post in the C4 Forum that has the service bulletin and complete schematic with instructions.

i couldn't believe the shop I used didn't know this. GM and AC Delco is supposedly their bag. Vettes are special I guess.

GrapeKnutz - Thanks for the advice! I'll check into the "resisters"
and look for the Service Bulletin - (Tlong) recommended!

I hope this all works! That SYS LIGHT just makes me madd! :mad :confused :mad :mad

If you've found that fixing your stereo electronics didn't solve your 'SYS' problem, here's another thought:

Check your theft deterrent system. That's what the problem was on my '93.

I do know if the 'SECURITY' light is blinking at the same time as the 'SYS' light, then it is the theft deterrent system. If it blinks 3 times every 15 seconds, it is a CCM controlled systems problem.

Hope this helps.
:v
:Steer

vee93-

The Security System Lights are normal. Just the "SYS" light appear intermittently.

I got another suggestion to check the CCM for error messages!
I'm gonna tap into the DLC for answers!

Thanks! :eyerole

Mike99PA,
Hold up-I didn't say anything about security lights!

I said IF the 'SECURITY' light is blinking AND AT THE SAME TIME the 'SYS' warning is blinking right there on the gauge face by the speedometer reading-it'll blink 3 times every 15 seconds, then it's a problem with the theft system. Otherwise, the blinking 'SYS' by itself IS indicative of a CCM problem AND it will be an electronic systems problem of some kind.

I thought I said that before, but maybe I wasn't clear. Anyway-
Good luck.

You know what though, I have a '93. You have a '96. Maybe the 3 years difference in the cars makes well..., a difference.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom