Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strange Ticking Noise (Clutch?)

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
I have less than 500 miles on my engine and transmission (including new clutch). I have not done any harsh driving.

When I started the car today, it's now making a strange sound. It's a ticking noise that gets louder when the clutch is depressed and increases with RPMs. The sound is also very noticeable when driving - particularly gears 1 through 3, but really quiets down in 4th. It also feels like there's a bit more "play" in the clutch pedal than before... but that may only be my perception.

I did a search on CAC and did not find anything similar.

Again, overhauled transmission, new clutch, and lightly driven…. Hopefully, someone will chime in.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Ralph

my old truck makes a almost rattling sound when the clutch pedal is pressed in. I know it's the throwout bearing. It only makes the sound with your foot on the clutch. This might be what you're hearing. Maybe something didn't get put back together exactly right.

A noise in all gears but 4th indicates an trans bearing, or a countershaft problem. Does the noise stop with the clutch depressed, car stopped, and the trans in gear? If it does, the noise is in the trans. If not, you may have a pilot bearing making noise.

It could also be a starter drive not fully dis-engaging, and "tinging" on the flywheel.

look to see if all your pressure plate bolts are tight. a snapped or backed out retaining bolt will allow the spring fingers to go all wonky and tick off the throw-out bearing.

Thanks for the replies.

Most of us can remember using a playing card through the spokes of a bicycle tire to make noise. The ticking noise I'm experiencing is similar to that sound.

I re-checked it today. Now, the ticking only sounds when the clutch is depressed. It's much softer than it was yesterday, and if it's still ticking when driving, it's not audible over the exhaust noise.

Throwout bearing perhaps? It's a new Luk clutch assembly, and I've been "babying" the driving during this break-in period. Not sure what would cause this to occur.
:confused

I had a similar noise when I did the clutch on my '73 the first time. It turned out to be just the lower front dust cover ticking the F/W.
good luck with it...

lone73 said:
I had a similar noise when I did the clutch on my '73 the first time. It turned out to be just the lower front dust cover ticking the F/W.
good luck with it...

Lone73,

Funny you would suggest that. With the engine running, I had my wife depress the clutch while I checked out the mechanisms from the underneath. I put my hand on the dust cover, and felt the vibration. I presumed this was the clutch... but maybe it could be loose. I'll have to re-check.

Thanks.

Did you use ARP bolts for the flywheel-to-crank? They're slightly longer than the production GM bolts and sometimes the ends hit the inspection cover. Make sure the inspection cover isn't distorted or bent. When you press in on the clutch, the crankshaft moves forward .003"-.005" and that can be enough to cause interference if the cover is distorted.

:beer

JohnZ said:
Did you use ARP bolts for the flywheel-to-crank? They're slightly longer than the production GM bolts and sometimes the ends hit the inspection cover. Make sure the inspection cover isn't distorted or bent. When you press in on the clutch, the crankshaft moves forward .003"-.005" and that can be enough to cause interference if the cover is distorted.
:beer

Thanks John. Does it makes sense that the noise would begin suddenly?

fine69 said:
Thanks John. Does it makes sense that the noise would begin suddenly?

If by that you mean when the clutch pedal is depressed, yes - that forces the crank forward against the thrust bearing surface. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom