Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Strg Column Lock Recall

J

jz7p6t

Does anyone have exact details of repair procedures involved with this C5 Steering Column Lock recall? ie; Does column have to be replaced, dismantled, etc? I do not want to return to dealer unless this repair is absolutely needed. I saw some info that this recall results in disabling column lock but dealer I talked to, did not have a clue.

You will definately want to get it done. If the lock fails, your steering wheel will not unlock. The procedure is different for manual trans and auto trans vehicles. On Auto trans cars, the lock plate inside the column will be replaced and a relay is added to the wiring inside the column. On manual trans cars, the electronic lock is replaced and a wiring modification is done near the electical center under the passenger footwell.

In either case all that would be removed during service would be the drivers airbag, steering wheel, knee bolster, and column trim cover.

BTW if your car is an auto it will not have the locking column feature after this procedure. Manuals retain the locking feature.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the information. I thought I had read that the column lock would no longer work after this recall (probably in one of the notices I got but cannot find now). It seems strange that the problem cannot actually be fixed. Do you (or anyone else) know what the exact problem is? ie; computer problem? mechanical problem with column?

Welcome to CACC. DealerTech is right about the column lock. There will be others on soon to go into greater detail for you, just sit tight.

Here's some information.

CONDITION

General Motors has decided that certain 1998-2000 Corvette model vehicles may exhibit a condition in which the electronic column lock may not function as intended. The condition could result in the failure of the steering column to unlock during initial key-in and start-up. Should the column fail to unlock, the engine will stop running if the vehicle starts to move.

CORRECTION

Dealers are to install repair kit PN 88952427 for automatic transmission Corvettes in the US & Canada or repair kit PN 88952428 for all manual transmission Corvettes in the US & Canada. For Corvettes sold in all other countries, both manual and automatic, dealers are to install repair kit PN 88952428.

VEHICLES INVOLVED

Involved are certain 1998-2000 Corvette model vehicles built within these VIN breakpoints:

YEAR DIVISION MODEL PLANT FROM THROUGH
1998 Chevrolet Corvette Bowling Green W5123355 W5131069
1999 Chevrolet Corvette Bowling Green X5100001 X5133283
2000 Chevrolet Corvette Bowling Green Y5100001 Y5116233

IMPORTANT: Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through GMVIS (GM Vehicle Inquiry System) or GM Access Screen (Canada only) or DCS Screen 445 (IPC only) prior to beginning campaign repairs. [Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints may be involved.]

Involved vehicles have been identified by Vehicle Identification Number. Computer listings containing the complete Vehicle Identification Number, customer name and address data have been prepared, and are being furnished to involved dealers with the campaign bulletin. The customer name and address data furnished will enable dealers to follow up with customers involved in this campaign. Any dealer not receiving a computer listing with the campaign bulletin has no involved vehicles currently assigned.

These dealer listings may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any other purpose is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this campaign.

Check the C5 section in the Knowledgebase by clicking the tab above. The bulletin can be found there.

Thanks again. Still would like to know details of what is wrong and why it cannot be corrected. The service fix does not actually correct the problem, it just bypasses it (ie; disables column lock function).
Has anyone had this done on an automatic trans Corvette and was it satisfactory?
My problem is that our C5 is in mint condition and I'm leary of letting anyone else touch it, let alone work on it.

jz7p6t said:
Thanks again. Still would like to know details of what is wrong and why it cannot be corrected. The service fix does not actually correct the problem, it just bypasses it (ie; disables column lock function).
Has anyone had this done on an automatic trans Corvette and was it satisfactory?
My problem is that our C5 is in mint condition and I'm leary of letting anyone else touch it, let alone work on it.

I am puzzled too as to why the automatics dont really get fixed, but as I dont understand alot of things GM does. Im sure your local dealer will do a fine job and not destroy your baby. It is a relatively minor procedure.(I have done dozens of them) The alternative to the recall is the possibility of a non running, non steering driveway ornament.

My 98 was fixed during an oil change and they said nothing to me before the repair was made. Didn't even notice it for a year. When I got my Seville I noticed that the steering wheel didn't lock, also a dash mounted ignition switch. The dealer said that the wheel didn't require the locking security because of the VAT. Who am I to argue, when both work fine. I've noticed a few others that don't lock since then.

The dealer replaced mine when I took the car in for service. I didn't have any problems with it before or after, but I wasn't going to argue with them. Better safe than sorry.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom