Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Stuck in Park

billday

Corvette
1995 Yellow Coupe
My 95 Coupe is stuck in Park and the button won't release. What do I need to do? Adjust the linkage?

Thanks in advance!

Is it parked on a hill without the parking brake set?

It's is my garage. I have jacked up the rear to make sure it wasn't just under torque, and no go. It feels like the button doesn't engage, but won't push down.

Thanks!
Is it parked on a hill without the parking brake set?

Stuck in park

Besides turning on the key, you must step on the brake to release the button. If the engine is not running, you may have to step very hard or turn on the engine. If the battery is dead, I believe you are locked out as 12v is required to operate the release solenoid (which is normally engaged to 'lock' position) in the shift handle.
Hope this helps
PS Another possibility is that the solenoid or cable has failed or hung up.

This developed gradually. It just got harder and harder to disengage park, until finally it won't. I believe it is a mechanical problem, like misadjusted linkage, or a worn part?

I did have a differential swapped out a month or so ago, but this problem seemed to be already developing.

This developed gradually. It just got harder and harder to disengage park, until finally it won't. I believe it is a mechanical problem, like misadjusted linkage, or a worn part?

I did have a differential swapped out a month or so ago, but this problem seemed to be already developing.
Maybe the shift cable is worn or frayed and binding!;shrug

The release button on my 89 can be hard to depress at times. I sometimes need to use both thumbs to release it. Once released the lever will move readily to any position, including back to park. It often happens only on a cold start from the garage. Once released it is OK for a while.
I've replace the Park/Neutral switch but buggered up the connector-retainer and sometimes she must be put in N to start, especially in warmer weather. The ignition key is sometimes "sticky" to remove as well.
My mechanic thinks its the cable that connects the selector to the ateering column and ign switch.
I'm thinking about insalling a cockpit "start" button to use in case she starts refusing to crank even in neutral.

Well, I have the car on jackstands for another reason, and I disconnected the shifter cable to see if that was the reason. Transmission shifts fine, but the lever still won't disengage Park. When I finish my other little project, I will pull the console and shift plate cover to see what I find there. The Haynes manual shows an adjustment for the Steering column lock cable, which could cause my problem. I will also inspect the shift cable for binding or fraying.

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest getting a factory service manual too. Can be had from Helms.com, or found on ebay, too. Just reading thru it will teach you things about your car you never knew. Good way to pass the time on those snowy days when you're not out riding.

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest getting a factory service manual too. Can be had from Helms.com, or found on ebay, too. Just reading thru it will teach you things about your car you never knew. Good way to pass the time on those snowy days when you're not out riding.

Yeah, that's on my list. I also need to get some miscellaneous parts, so I'll be surfing ebay.

I swear, my shift lever will not disengage from park, in cold weather, until temps reach 105F.
after that, all is a-ok. I don't know why, i just chalk it up to my baby not ready yet. It is strange, but she's never failed me.

Okay, I have the console removed. It looks like the solenoid is not working.
1. Is there a way to test the solenoid?
2. How do I remove the solenoid? Do I have to pull the whole shifter mechanism?

Thanks!

Never mind, now it works, but I'm not sure that I fixed anything. I did adjust the steering column cable lock a little. Since I'm not sure why it works, I am a little tentative about putting it all together, but I guess the only way to know is to drive it.

Well, I didn't fix anything, it is still hanging up. I have taken to leaving the key in, setting the parking brake, and locking it up. I read somewhere that you can just pop the solenoid off, and everything works, except you don't have to step on the brake to put it in gear.

Comments?

I guess doing nothing sometimes works.
I call this "Lazy man's rule #1 - It you ignore something long enough it may go away on it's own."
Go for it.

I've been ignoring a leaking master cylinder for 9 years. The fliud gradually moves from the forward reservoir to the aft one. Every month or so I spoon it back forward. One day the master may give out and I'll go hurtling off the roadway 300 feet down. That's OK. It's the way i want to go anyway.

Well, I finally popped the brake transmission interlock solenoid off, and everything's cool! The button pushes easy, and it shifts right out of park, as long as the switch is on. I think that's a safety feature I don't really need.

I believe that most of those "safety" features were added in by some junior lawyer and not by an engineer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom