Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Stuck key

klyons

Corvette
1988 Bright Red
I have a friend who's 86 has the ignition key stuck in the ignition won't come out. No matter what we try. Any Ideas.

Is it an automatic or a 4 speed?

Here is a fix for a C3 may well work the same, reach down at the bottom of the steering column just above the floor and turn/wiggle the column while trying to remove the key. I rode around with the key in mine for about 3 months before learning that tip. The lock-out gets out of line and won't allow you to remove the key.

bossvette said:
Here is a fix for a C3 may well work the same, reach down at the bottom of the steering column just above the floor and turn/wiggle the column while trying to remove the key. I rode around with the key in mine for about 3 months before learning that tip. The lock-out gets out of line and won't allow you to remove the key.

Another thing you can try in addition to that is, make sure the knob is all the way up on the shifter. Usually it will 'click' when you go to put it in park, if it does not, then you get the situation boss metions above. You can also try to jiggle the shifter a little while in park. Just another suggestion- hope this helps :cool

With my '85, I pull back on knob once in park to secure position; then key gives me no trouble.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom