Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sucking / Whistling sound from engine

Corvette
2001 Z06
Noticed over the last week that my 99 Vette seemed to be missing/stumbling a little on idle and I was looking into it today. Under the hood, it seems to have a loud hissing, whistling or sucking show and it was louder than I had heard before. I located the area on the front passenger side of the engine. I was checking hoses/vacuums and found the below picture where the majoriity of the sound was coming from. It doesn't seem corroded and its either hard rubber or metal but it has about 1/8th inch hole completely through it. Seems to have been made that way and when I pinch it (fingers over both sides of hole), the engine drops to a lower consistent idle and the whistling goes away. Can someone make out from the picture if this 'part' is supposed to be that way or is something missing?. I honestly don't have a clue and the little bit of looking via the net hasn't helped much. Thanks in advance for any and all comments. Tip of my finger is pointing at the 'part'.. (sorry for the size of the pic, didn't resize as i wanted..)

Attachments

• What that1.jpg
    What that1.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 178
That hose is for your PVC valve and is a large false air (vacuum leak) source that will cause lean surge and idle problems, amongst others.

Good job finding your problem.

That hose is for your PVC valve and is a large false air (vacuum leak) source that will cause lean surge and idle problems, amongst others.

Good job finding your problem.

Really appreciate your response, I've misplaced my FSMs(and still can't find them) so I wasn't able to look it up. Is that 45 degree part replaceable or do you need to buy the whole pcv assembly? Not having much luck looking online, just seeing the whole hose assembly and pcv valve for 90 to 100 dollars.

Better picture of hose/part, center of picture. Possibly just a short piece of hose bent to a 45 or lesser degree?

Attachments

• rubberhosePCV.jpg
    rubberhosePCV.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 181
I would remove the oil filler cap and then the injector cover and remove the complete hose, the pcv valve will be in there somewhere, it would be a good time to replace it, and use a GM/AC Delco part if possible.

My pcv hose is different then yours, but the size of the hoses should be the same. I would remove the hose and then remove the defective end. Take the male and female ends of your hoses to an auto parts store, they should have the correct size inside diameter hose that is oil resistant and fits snug. I think if you make the bad piece of hose a little longer it would be a more gradual bend and not kink, it may take a bit of trial and error. I zip tied my hose ends tightly to the throttle body and pcv valve just as a precaution to the possibility of the hoses coming loose. Good luck with it.

I would remove the oil filler cap and then the injector cover and remove the complete hose, the pcv valve will be in there somewhere, it would be a good time to replace it, and use a GM/AC Delco part if possible.

My pcv hose is different then yours, but the size of the hoses should be the same. I would remove the hose and then remove the defective end. Take the male and female ends of your hoses to an auto parts store, they should have the correct size inside diameter hose that is oil resistant and fits snug. I think if you make the bad piece of hose a little longer it would be a more gradual bend and not kink, it may take a bit of trial and error. I zip tied my hose ends tightly to the throttle body and pcv valve just as a precaution to the possibility of the hoses coming loose. Good luck with it.

Thanks a lot, appreciate you taking to time to reply with your line of attack to this issue, I believe that's the route I'm taking.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom