Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sudden Power Loss

ScubaSteve

Corvette
1996 Arctic White Coupe
So today I go to leave work, get in my car ('96), turn it on and everything is normal. As soon as I turn the key to start the engine the whole thing dies. Complete power loss. It's like someone cut the battery wire at just that moment.

I had it happen to me a few weeks ago, but just removing and reinstalling the battery cables fixed it. No luck with that this time.

Anyone have any ideas what would cause this?

I checked all the fuses and none are burned and all the ground connections seem fine...

So today I go to leave work, get in my car ('96), turn it on and everything is normal. As soon as I turn the key to start the engine the whole thing dies. Complete power loss. It's like someone cut the battery wire at just that moment.

I had it happen to me a few weeks ago, but just removing and reinstalling the battery cables fixed it. No luck with that this time.

Anyone have any ideas what would cause this?

I checked all the fuses and none are burned and all the ground connections seem fine...
You need to check and clean the positive and ground leads on Battery,Chassis,Ground strap chassis to engine block,power distribution center and the starter!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

I checked what I found around the battery, and the ones on the frame up near the horns... where else are they located? How much dismantling or jacking will i need to do?

Thanks!

I checked what I found around the battery, and the ones on the frame up near the horns... where else are they located? How much dismantling or jacking will i need to do?

Thanks!
Oh, You'll have to have it up!! There is a couple grounds behind the battery on the frame about under the brake booster (Be careful 1 of the Air Bag Inertia switch's it there too!! DON'T Bang on it!!:L),there is a ground strap from there frame to engine block gos to the 2nd bolt up on the bell housing with 3-4 other engine harness grounds and there is 1-2 on the frame below the AC Evaporator housing on the frame!! You need to check all Positive Connections behind the battery too,Including All Fuses!! Check and CLEAN,Clean,clean,just because there tight don't mean it's a good connection!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

One wire brush applied liberally to the positive battery terminal seems to have resolved the issue.... for now! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom