Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

SUNOCO 94 WHERE DID YOU GO?

59-62USNVET

Corvette
Had:76,87TT,90TT,03 ZO6, Have 06 ZO6
For the last 30+ years I have always purchased either Sunoco 260 or 94 in all of the Corvettes I have owned. Yesterday I pulled up to my local Sunoco station to fill my wifes sedan up with the usual 93. In NJ we are not supposed to pump our own. My wife noticed that the highest octane offered at the pump was 93. What happened to the 94? I questioned the attendant. He said they don't have it anymore and is no longer available. Last week I filled the new Z06 up with the 94. I have tried unsuccessfully to get an answer from Sunoco.
Did 94 get dropped everywhere? Does anyone know anything? I know that my owners manual said that for my 7.0 litre engine and for best performance use 93. Do I really need the 94 or is (was) it a waste of money ?

59-62USNVET

Not sure about the sunoco, but is that a pink vette?

PINK?

I'll have ou know that the correct color of the avatar is "PASSION PINK".

59-62USNVET

Sunoco 94 is no longer available in Maryland, at least where I live. Last summer it disappeared. I think 93 octane will work just fine, I've been using it in my 04 Z with no problem whatsoever. Some states don't even have 93 octane.

94 hasn't been available it Massachusetts for 2-3 years. Sunoco is the only brand I use and it's always 93, now anyway.

I could have sworn I just filled up with Sunoco 94 within the last two weeks.

I know NY no longer carries it but I believe NJ was.

Could be some stations or it could be a move away from it altogether...

Hope we're wrong. I like to fill up with 94 and didn't care it was a few pennies more.

Bummer..

59-62USNVET said:
I'll have ou know that the correct color of the avatar is "PASSION PINK".

59-62USNVET

Sunoco has been and continues to be in the process of phasing out 94. All the late model Vettes, including "passion pink" Z06's, are manufactured to run just fine on 93.

Remo:cool

A few mods and Sunoco Ultra 94 has some value.

Sad to hear they are phasing it out.

Guess its a profit issue?

2001 ZO6 TTP 224/224 114lsa Cam Pkg 396rwhp 380 rwtq, dual crane valvesprings, Halltech Tunnel Ram, FLP headers, ASP 25% Pully, 3.73 Getrag Rear,2004 Z06 shocks,Shaner S2 TB,Hurst

No, it's an environmental issue here in NY.
They added 10% Ethanol.
They phased out MTBE.
Now the high octane fuels are going.
The highest grade used to be 96 octane quite a few years ago, but the demand decreased as emissions pressure increased. We could get 94 octane in PA, last year but I would be surprised if it's there this year.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry to hear the emissions got the better of Sunoco Ultra...

wishuwerehere82 said:
No, it's an environmental issue here in NY.
They added 10% Ethanol.
They phased out MTBE.
Now the high octane fuels are going.
The highest grade used to be 96 octane quite a few years ago, but the demand decreased as emissions pressure increased. We could get 94 octane in PA, last year but I would be surprised if it's there this year.

Just FYI, the EPA is removing their oxygenate requirement for fuels:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185024,00.html

MORE ON 94

Guess what. The station that I went to earlier this week has the nerve to call the 93 "Ultra". So when the unsuspecting ask for "Ultra" and think they are getting 94 they are actually getting 93. I have to research and see if they are charging the same for the 93 as they did for the 94. To be continued.........

59-62USNVET

ROB'S ORIGINAL THREAD

I just finished reading Rob's thread of 08/11/04 entitled "Corvette Owners and Sunoco Gasoline" It looks like the issue was put to bed a long time ago------
a real sad situation. I guess I'll have to take the new 06 Z06 out back, shoot her and put her out of her misery. OOOPS, I just remembered this is NJ and they don't take a liken to using firearms. So maybe I'll look around for some old 85 Octane and let her die a slower death.

59-62USNVET

You could always move out west where we still let you pack the heat.

MOVE OUT WEST

korvettekarl:

Would they care much what color my car is?

59-62USNVET

Roads were dry tonight and I topped mine off at Sunoco with 94

JOE BYRNE:
How far is it from North Jersey to Eastlake, Ohio? If I put a pair of saddle tanks on the Vet it might be worth my while to fill up out there once or twice a month.

59-62USNVET

Would love to have you anytime especially with that color!!! I asked the girl if she knew if they were phasing out 94 but I don't think she knew the difference between 94 and 7-up. $2.69 per gallon vs $2.09 for 87

A PERFECT MATCH?

JOE BYRNE:

With your 73 Butterscotch and my 06 Passion Pink we have the perfect look!

59-62USNVET

I was trying to imagine how that would look at the local Saturday night cruise in at Super K

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom