Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! Supercharger for 2010 C6 auto

corvette addict

Corvette
2015 Z51 Black/Black
There's a Procharger dealer about 50 miles from me and he has given me an estimate. There also is an A and A dealer not to far from where I live. I have estimates from both places. The Procharger says $9850 installed with 650 at the crank and about 548 RWHP. The A and A guy says
630 and 560.The second installer price is $7630.00. I have done all the research I know how to do but I don't know anybody that has done business with either one of these guys. What I have learned is that these are both "bolt on units" and will not require any mods to the hood or to the engine and will be stealthy. Have any of you guys moderators included had any experience with these superchargers. The Procharger garage is called Majestic Motors in Hubert, N.C. The A and A dealer is called RPM in Garner, N.C. Frankly the A and A guy sounded a little more detailed than the other one I spoke with. I plan to see the guy at RPM in February and see what everything looks like. Can anybody out there help me with this? We don't want a C7. I can't see paying 68-75,000 for 30 more HP. My car has 17,000 miles on it and I don't care for the C7
all that much. I certainly can't pay for a ZO6. So this is what I might do. Any opinions is needed and will be well heeded.

Thanks very much,

corvette addict

Can't help you with your question, but am watching with great interest. :w

I have no personal experience with a Procharger on an LS3, however, there are some really good things about centrifugal blowers on LS3s and some really bad things.

First, the good

1) That advertised 220 more horsepower
2) The less aggressive boost curve of a centrifugal supercharger makes engines with them easier to drive on boost.
3) Procharger is a pretty reputable blower maker. They've been around a long time

Now, the bad
1) Most mods, including superchargers, seldom live up to their marketing. Realistically, I think you can expect 10-25% less performance than the vendor claims
2) Anything that increases power by 40% or more (and your vendors are claiming up to 66% more) is likely to have some effect on durability, not only that of the engine but also the driveline.
3) With any aftermarket supercharger kit, proper ECM calibration is critical, but can take a lot of time and effort. Some blower installers do a good job with calibration, others do not. If the cal is done right most users will not notice because the engine makes the desired power and drivability and reliability are close to stock. If the cal is not right, the power might be there but not only will the drivability suck, but reliability may suffer, too. Nothing hurts the pocketbook more with a poorly-calibrated blower package has the engine in detonation near peak torque and, after a while, it kicks a rod out.
4) C6es with blowers and stock cooling systems are going to be "cooling challenged" in some driving situations.

Superchargers

I have no personal experience with a Procharger on an LS3, however, there are some really good things about centrifugal blowers on LS3s and some really bad things.

First, the good

1) That advertised 220 more horsepower
2) The less aggressive boost curve of a centrifugal supercharger makes engines with them easier to drive on boost.
3) Procharger is a pretty reputable blower maker. They've been around a long time

Now, the bad
1) Most mods, including superchargers, seldom live up to their marketing. Realistically, I think you can expect 10-25% less performance than the vendor claims
2) Anything that increases power by 40% or more (and your vendors are claiming up to 66% more) is likely to have some effect on durability, not only that of the engine but also the driveline.
3) With any aftermarket supercharger kit, proper ECM calibration is critical, but can take a lot of time and effort. Some blower installers do a good job with calibration, others do not. If the cal is done right most users will not notice because the engine makes the desired power and drivability and reliability are close to stock. If the cal is not right, the power might be there but not only will the drivability suck, but reliability may suffer, too. Nothing hurts the pocketbook more with a poorly-calibrated blower package has the engine in detonation near peak torque and, after a while, it kicks a rod out.
4) C6es with blowers and stock cooling systems are going to be "cooling challenged" in some driving situations.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Supercharger cons

How about there goes your warranty
Tire wear increases
Plug changes more frequent

Vette Mgazine and Corvette Magazine sure to take ads for these superchargers for LS engines

Also Edelbrock touts one

I sure would be upset if I blew up my baby.??

Procharger even has a 3 year warranty

STUFF SURE IS CORNFUSING AIN'T IT

Any comments are appreciated

WWR

I'm running an A&A and it makes over 200 more at the tires than the stock LS1 did at the flywheel. How much you'll get at the tires is dependent on the tune not the centri or the blower brand name. If you want more, they change the pulley.

The best tuners for boosted LSx in NC are Jonathan at Tick Performance in Mt. Airy and Alvin at PCM for less in Mooresville. If the tune is right; you'll pass NC's emission inspection. When I lived in an emissions test county; she passed with flying colors at a dealer and she gets over 30 MPG on the highway.
I recently replaced the steering rack with a rare parts unit and the blower makes it a lot more work.

As a blower makes noise when it is free wheeling; so, it isn't a secret:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoNvL6Xx2UY

The boost hits with no lag and the response is sweet. The performance is lethal; so be real careful with the right foot. 550 and up at the tires is serious business.

Tire wear increases

Vette Mgazine and Corvette Magazine sure to take ads for these superchargers for LS engines

Also Edelbrock touts one

WWR
I have a '07 with an East coast supercharging kit. It dynoed at 558 RWHP. The previous owner had it installed at Wongs performance engineering in Washington.
I have driven this for two years and it is still a blast. It will break loose the rear tires in 3rd gear at 4000 RPM/65MPH and I have to short-shift into fourth as it tends to overwhelm the traction control.
Heat IS an issue, and you can hear the fan wailing when driving in traffic. I have a 170 stat and it hangs around 185-ish on hot days.
I get 19 city and 24 hwy MPG when I behave...
It has the Corsa extreme pipes and headers so it is LOUD, but purrs nicely when cruising -you can hear the blower whine at low RPM and the vroom-CHUFF sound every time you shift gives away the game at stoplight drags.

TL:DR Totally worth it!
P3261850.jpg

Reply to kpic

I'm running an A&A and it makes over 200 more at the tires than the stock LS1 did at the flywheel. How much you'll get at the tires is dependent on the tune not the centri or the blower brand name. If you want more, they change the pulley.

The best tuners for boosted LSx in NC are Jonathan at Tick Performance in Mt. Airy and Alvin at PCM for less in Mooresville. If the tune is right; you'll pass NC's emission inspection. When I lived in an emissions test county; she passed with flying colors at a dealer and she gets over 30 MPG on the highway.
I recently replaced the steering rack with a rare parts unit and the blower makes it a lot more work.

As a blower makes noise when it is free wheeling; so, it isn't a secret:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoNvL6Xx2UY

The boost hits with no lag and the response is sweet. The performance is lethal; so be real careful with the right foot. 550 and up at the tires is serious business.

Thanks so much for the input. Logistically I'm here @@@ and Mooresville is
here @@@@. Of course its worth it if the guy does the best job. Vette magazine had a 3 or 4 page feature on Mayhem Motorsports in Raleigh. This customer went waaayy to make a 1000 hp twin turbo etc. etc. I don't want anything like that. I just want the bolt on that gives my car the hp we've been talking about. I also want the best and safest (for the car and me) job I can get. I think all of us want that. Why do I want this done to a perfect '10 C6 ? 'CUZ I WANT IT!!!! I bought this car new and it has 16,948 miles on it. Do the math and that's not
many miles per year. Even though I don't plan to change my driving routine I still want this power. I40 is on my monthly route to CHill and there are some 4 lanes I can use. My biggest concern is damage to the engine of course and what Hib said. I don't want that to happen. So far I've got three sources in my driving schedule. The other thing that concerns me is I am no mechanic so I must depend on the installer to do the correct install. You mentioned the thermostat, RPM told me about that. If you have any other info that you might think that will help
please let me know. I am not looking for some outrageous build just the right unit for my car and someone to stand by their work. Please post any info that will help.

Thanks everybody,

corvette addict:thumb

Tire wear increases

Also Edelbrock touts one

WWR

Tire wear is going to change, but based only on how often you spin the tires. If you drive aggresively, that will often occur.

Spark plug life, provided you are using good quality parts, will not change much unless you run the engine hard on a regular basis.

The Edelbrock E-Force is probably the best developed supercharger package on the market for Corvettes, but it's not a centrifugal blower, it's a Roots with a vastly different boost curve. A Roots makes boost right off idle, quickly climbs to max boost and plateaus where as a centrifugal, makes low boost at low rpm and high boost at high rpm.

In most cases your factory warranty will be voided with installation of a superchager, but...your car is a '10 and, unless you have an extended warranty, the powertrain warranty has likely run out or is close to it.

With respect to the cooling issue, a thermostat is a control device not a heat exchanger. Just putting in a 'stat with a lower opening point does not improve cooling all that much. Changing fan-on temps and going to a bigger radiator are mods you need to consider.

The Procharger warranty is likely restricted to just the supercharger.

Installed an Edelbrock EForce in 2008 C6. Son installed it and we also installed long tube headers 1 7/8 inch if I remember correctly. I used tuning software and self tuned it - - went to tuning school - - and I never knew if I did anything right or wrong with the tune. ran car for about 6,000 miles. threw lean ban codes often.

Moved to a place that had tuners. Took it to a mom & pop tuner. He tuned it and it runs even better and does not throw any codes. About 560-570 HP.

works for me for sure. Great to have that low end boost. Car really takes off at lower speed heavy throttle.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom