Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Supercharging the vette

Bioscache2

Corvette
2001 Blk Coupe
I'm thinking of supercharging the vette and the research I've done is pointing towards ATI's Procharger kit. Anyone have any other input and also know anyone around here that carries Procharger and can do a good install? Thanks.

Bioscache2 said:
I'm thinking of supercharging the vette and the research I've done is pointing towards ATI's Procharger kit. Anyone have any other input and also know anyone around here that carries Procharger and can do a good install? Thanks.

FUGEDDABOUTIT, get a Vortech...

Robert YellowVette said:
FUGEDDABOUTIT, get a Vortech...

I heard the vortech is good the only problem is I've yet to see a package with an intercooler and supercharging generates so much heat that with out an intercooler I would lose half the HP I gained to timing retardation.

Yeah you are right, but are you sure it is half? I know that a intercooled supercharger will make more then say an intercooled turbo, or so I have read.

Vettefan87 said:
Yeah you are right, but are you sure it is half? I know that a intercooled supercharger will make more then say an intercooled turbo, or so I have read.

The half is a rough estimate but i do know that anything above 5psi requires intercooling to avoid detontation and thats on a cold day. On a hot day it happens almost immediatly. Also an intercooler helps save the life of the engine.

Contact Andy with A&A Corvette. 5k for complete ATI Procharger kit. You can't go wrong.

- Matt

Edmond said:
I'm with Edmond on this one. That was the link I was going to post. It's kinda hard to argue with [John] Lingenfelter (R.I.P.). If I had a C5, well, if it's good enough for John... I mean, this is the guy that drove the record setting Sledgehammer Corvette and won numerous awards for his aftermarket engineering, implementation, and execution...

My 2¢...

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Performance Technical Center[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] is proud to announce our supercharging systems for the 1997-2001 Chevrolet Corvettes.[/font][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Built around the proven Vortech® S trim compressor running at 6 psi of boost, our base C5 supercharger system produces 430hp at the rear wheels on a stock six speed Corvette.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When combined as part of our Stage III system running at 10 psi, this system can produce 566 horsepower and 512ft. lb. at the rear wheels.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Also, we now use Vortech's new V-2 Super Quite compressors in all of our kits. These compressors run silent and offer the best ratio of horsepower to reliability. As always, when in doubt, we err on the side of strength and durability and never compromise on quality.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Performance Technical Center provides a 12 month parts and labor warranty on all installation performed at our shop in Chicago.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Description[/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Part Number [/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]Price[/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]'97-01 C-5 Corvette Base Supercharging [/size][/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]System[/size][/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]$11,495.00*[/size][/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=-1]* Plus shipping and applicable taxes. Price does not include stage III package.[/size][/font]

Bioscache2 said:
I heard the vortech is good the only problem is I've yet to see a package with an intercooler and supercharging generates so much heat that with out an intercooler I would lose half the HP I gained to timing retardation.

www.vortechsuperchargers.com

The have a liquid-to-air aftercooler which is particularly efficient...

Thanks all for the replies but after looking I found a few more things. I heard that liquid to air intercoolers are only efficient earlier on but once the water heats up the efficiency drops quickly, unless your constantly adding ice? Anyone know anything about that?

Also the system from protech is almost twice as much as the others and unfortunately money is a sizable factor for me, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm probably looking for something at or under 8k for a complete install.

Anyone actually have these systems too?

Bioscache2 said:
Thanks all for the replies but after looking I found a few more things. I heard that liquid to air intercoolers are only efficient earlier on but once the water heats up the efficiency drops quickly, unless your constantly adding ice? Anyone know anything about that?

Also the system from protech is almost twice as much as the others and unfortunately money is a sizable factor for me, but thanks for the suggestion. I'm probably looking for something at or under 8k for a complete install.

Anyone actually have these systems too?

The glycol liquid is cooled by a pump and small radiator that mounts in the intake for the main radiator.

I check mine after hard runs on hot days, the top of the aftercooler chamber has never exceeded ambient air temp, at least to my fingertips...

It will bring down the intake charge from 230 F. to ambient air temp which is a significant reduction.

Talk to Andy of A&A Corvettes in Oxnard he is a tuner on these forums about a Vortech kit install, Protech does seem high to me for what should be an $8,000 job...

Hey, Ryan,
If you don't mind my asking, how much have you budgeted for this project? Your budget may determine more what you can do than any advice you get here (unless you can quell the mod fever long enough to save up a really big number. :L )

-Patrick

Robert YellowVette said:
The glycol liquid is cooled by a pump and small radiator that mounts in the intake for the main radiator.

I check mine after hard runs on hot days, the top of the aftercooler chamber has never exceeded ambient air temp, at least to my fingertips...

It will bring down the intake charge from 230 F. to ambient air temp which is a significant reduction.

Talk to Andy of A&A Corvettes in Oxnard he is a tuner on these forums about a Vortech kit install, Protech does seem high to me for what should be an $8,000 job...

Thanks, I emailed A&A for some more info since I've heard them mentioned a few times. Also around 8k is exatly what I'd be looking to spend.

Procharger

Hey Ryan, I have an ATI procharger installed in my 01 vert, Ive driven about 5500 miles with it so far. I still pinch myself after each drive I take her on. Its sounds great with a nice soft whistle affect at idle then goes away while applying gas. The car just takes off like a raped ape at about 2500 rpm's and pulls rediculously right up to redline. I run 93 octane gas, and have experienced no detonation at all. This is also driving on very warm days. I am getting 440 rwhp at the moment. the car is tuned very conservativly this way Iam hoping to drive this baby over 100,000 miles someday. The system is great, reliable, and actually installable by yourself.{aprox. 13-15 hrs} Just my .02 cents.

Did you do any research on whether the structural intergrty will be compromised with that h.p.? My corvette book (fifty years) says that only the coupes could handle the exta hp (Z06). I had started a thread on this previous with no informed replies.

gcmlear said:
Did you do any research on whether the structural intergrty will be compromised with that h.p.? My corvette book (fifty years) says that only the coupes could handle the exta hp (Z06). I had started a thread on this previous with no informed replies.

AFAIK, only the FRC was chosen for the Z06 for structural ridgidity, mostly for suspension and handling purposes.

Not being a drag racer, I don't know what stresses straight-line acceleration puts on the structure.

Doing hard roll-ons from 2500 rpm to redline is certainly kinder to the car and drive train than burning out from a standstill with sticky drag radials.

I suspect most supercharged Vette's will go thru several engines and drive train components long before the chassis fails, but I have no way of proving that... =;-]

The way to settle it would be to cut up a blown vette that has spent a lot of time on the dragstrip and carefully examine the chassis structure and engine and drive train mounting points, it would help to have a couple of GM engineers present with charts and blueprints... =;-]

Bioscache2 said:

Not sure what you mean?? The C5 Vortech kit is air to water aftercooled. The ATI Procharger is air to air intercooled. The Vortech kit has a small radiator that goes down in front of the radiator. It circulates coolant through a charge cooler that cools the intake charge. Both kits in stock trim make about the same power. Mine's at Dynotech in Ft. Wayne Ind. right now getting a T-trim blower upgrade and a set of AFR heads. Should be around 650hp at the wheels when it's all dialed in. Here's mine before it went back under the knife:

342%3A696723232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E2333%3D986%3D98%3A%3DXROQDF%3E23235587%3B%3B94%3Bot1lsi

Charge cooler radiator:

342%3A696723232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2333%3D986%3D98%3A%3DXROQDF%3E232357246484%3Aot1lsi

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom