Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Suspension Improvment

I

inferno-vette

I need to modify my suspension ASAP. I need it to be stiffer, and to handle a lot better (pull more G's) I can't belive that today I raced with a friend of mine who has a 99' cobra and he could go like crazy in turns and I just had to look at him (straight aways are my business)
It's a must.....any advice on what to do?
Paul

Spend lots of money. :)

But seriously...

It's simple, to start with. Poly bushings everywhere, better springs, front and rear, adjustable strut rods in the rear, large sway bars, good shocks. Reads like a grocery list. Try that, I'm impressed with the variation on it I did, though I dont really know if it's going to technicaly be better than a newer Cobra stang, I do know it's close enough that I could make up the difference.

Mods beyond that are available, but not cheap...

What was your car doing? Overstearing, understearing? You may be able to address a specific issue at a time if you dont want to go through everything.

Get a Vette Brakes and Products catalog and your Visa card.

Try this Rear suspension rebuild my 81 now has a nice firm ride, corners good and is not so harsh that it will rattle your fillings loose. Just after the rebuild myself and Brutus drove from Florida to Kentucky (13.5 hours only stopping for gas/restroom breaks) and the difference in comfort wasn't noticable.

I used a 7-leaf spring from Guldstrand, poly bushings, Bilstien shocks and the camber rods w/hiem joints.

Thanks Scott, I have your site bookmarked and I take a look at it every now and then. Yes the poly bushings, I have order them alredy from Summit they're from Energy Suspension part #ENS-3-18123 for 1963-82 vettes they retail at $164.95 (just hope they're good) About the 7 leaf spring......I have an 82 so my spring is fiber glass. Next step will be those hiem joints I heard that they're very good so I'm gonna look into it.
Once again thanks for your help.
Paul

Paul,

The Energy Suspension poly bushings are good ones, when you get them see if they have a tube of grease with them, if not run down to a marine supply store and get a small tube. Use the marine grease to lube the bushings before installing them, it's more waterproof, I haven't had mine squeak yet.

I had a fiberglass spring too, replaced it because it snapped while driving one day. Make sure when/if you get a new spring you measure the width right in the center, there are 2 sizes I believe, 2 inch and 2 1/2 inch. You can also get different rate springs in fiberglass I think, VB sells an adjustable kind of spring gizmo but I don't know anyone that has it.

Tires are most important. Springs and shocks are a close second. Everything else takes a back seat to those.

I installed the Stage 4 suspension kit from Mid America a couple years ago (has it been that long??!!). It turned out to be a very good kit. The control arm setup in the rear is MUCH better than stock and gives you plenty of control over camber. The ride is excellent. The springs are extremely well-matched to the shocks, and the car stays flat through turns.

In any case, upgrade your springs before you add huge sway bars. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to depend on sway bars at all.

A couple tips if you get anything like the Stage 4 kit:
1) The front sway bar is very large. Make sure you use very beefy hardware to attach it to the frame. I used the hardware with the kit, and I noticed just this last weekend that all of the washers are deformed a little bit and one is cracked.
2) The endlinks supplied for the rear sway-bar are inadequate. I happened to have a pair of longer, larger end links that worked perfectly with the rear bar.
3) Lastly, an acetylene torch works wonders to burn/melt the old nasty bushings out. Just make sure you have extremely good ventilation. :)

Good luck.

Got the bushings in but no grease. Off for this weekend's project:_rock
Paul

Tip: If you have bushings that will not come out, burn the suckers out! LIttle plummers torch will give lots of sizzeling and smoke and allow the bushing to practically fall out. Works wonderfully.. :)

Thanks, I see into it. Just burn'em right?

You might try removeing them by force first.. :)

I had a bunch of trouble with the front control arm bushings when I did the 74, not even my 50ton press phased them, or atleast it felt like it was gonna break something before they gave, so I took them out in the yard with some thick gloves and a screwdriver and comenced to heating them. They smoked and sizzled and burned, but when they got hot enough I could pry just a hair and they practically jumped out.

I'm not much on subtelty sometimes...

wolf_walker said:
Tip: If you have bushings that will not come out, burn the suckers out! LIttle plummers torch will give lots of sizzeling and smoke and allow the bushing to practically fall out. Works wonderfully.. :)

Thanks for the tip. Burned my strut rod bushing out this weekend. Worked like a charm.

awesome ride:_rock finally the bushings are all in. took it aroud for a test drive and :j just great :J just love how it feels now:Twist
Paul

GREAT!! :D

They make a lot of difference in the old things, glad it all worked out..

VBP

This is what i am doing this summer. I am gonna buy the corvette performance plus suspension from VBP. 2grand and handling like a freak. As far a suspension systems go that isnt that bad. Most late model suspension systems can push more than 2 grand easily. I mean 2 grand for a almost fully adjustable suspension, you cant beat that. http://www.vettebrakes.com. page 9 of the online catalog. check it out. best thing i have seen for 68-82 vettes. if anyone has seen anything better . please comment. thanks

Yep,

That is what I installed on mine. The instructions they provide are terrible, trust me on that. My buddy TZracer here on CAC just finished putting the same stuff on his 71 coupe.

You will like the stuff. It looks cool, and you are right, by the time you buy all new (even OEM) stuff, you will have spent nearly the same amount of money.

I can't wait to jar my teeth out on a good stiff road!

69mw

So you installed the performance pluse suspension system?.
detail.asp
well keep me updated on how it handles. i was planning on doing autocross and roadcourse racing. So i need the stiffest best handling kit possible.

I will let you know. We have been autoxing our 90 and 00 pretty regular. Don't know if I will put the 69 through the paces. After spending hundreds of hours hand building and blocking the body, the thought of stress fractures is more than I can stand.

I installed it for other reasons. One, I wanted a suspension that I could adjust the ride height at will, and stiffness. Two, lighter weight. Three, I needed everything anyway. The front and rear mono leaf design has it all. Plus, like you said for the money you can not really replace all that in OEM. You take your chances on final ride height with coil springs. I talked to several companies and went over my specs in relation to getting the Perfect ride height. It was suggested I buy three pairs of front coils in different height/stiffness ratings, then return the two I don't like.

That was too much like work!

You will be pleased with the final product.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom