Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Suspension on a C3

TOR

Corvette
1969 Cab. 427 aut. Red
Hai.
J have a 1996 mod. 427 convertible. It runs nice and it is in god condition, but I wont to uppgrade the suspension system . I will use the car for ordininare cruising on the bad Norwegian roads. I am lokking at VBP´s Performase Plus Suspensione Kit. But there is a lot of kits, and I need some assistanse to do the right thing for this car.;help

Suspension on C 3

J have a Corvette 1969 mod. 427 convertible. 390 hk. It runs nice and it is in god condition, but I wont to uppgrade the suspension system .
I will use the car for cruising on the bad Norwegian roads. I am lokking at VBP´s Performase Plus Suspensione Kit. But there is a lot of springs and kits, and I need some advise from you out there, to do the right thing for this car. I have heard about god results of using Composite transverse leaf spring in the rear ( which kind ?), but to use that in the front seemes a little strange to me. Would it be nearly the same to just use coil spring in the front ;help[/quote]

This is just my opinion, but here goes.

Stiff suspension is not good for rough roads, as it transfers all the bumps to the frame and body (the car and yours). A softer spring and shock combination will give you the smoothest ride, but will not give you as high a level of performance in cornering as the Vette is capable of.
So a lower spring rate and softer shocks will still give you a good driving experience, but will be able to handle the bumps and holes a lot better with less pain in the drivers seat. Coil springs in the front will be the easiest way to replace your existing springs, just make sure they match the spring rate of the rear composite spring so the car sits level.
:w

I agree with the above.

For roads in Norway, you don't want high spring rates or urethane suspension bushings. I'd retain the springs and stabilizer bars you have now, but I'd replace all control arm bushings with OE-type rubber.

If you want the VBP composite rear spring, use either the 300 lb/in. or the 330.

Another good idea is Vette Brakes' "Smart Strut" kit for the rear.

The shocks to use are Bilsteins but not with "Sport" valving. Use the ones with standard (sometimes called "HD") valving.

Thank you for the answer. Do you then mean that the "performanse plus suspension kit " is stiffer than standard Coil springs and transfer more bumps to the body ?
tor

In a word- yes. Having said that, I spent a few months in Oslo some years ago and don't remember the roads being worse than N. American standards. Has something changed?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom