Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Sylvannia Silverstar Headlights - WOW!

Rogue

Corvette
1991 Turquoise Metallic Coupe
Got a pair from my local Pep Boys. They're sold as a complete headlamp and not as a replacement bulb for my 1991.

Took me about 45 minutes to install both. It was very easy.

Well I got to test them tonight. Holy Cow! What a difference!

Not that my old halogens were bad, but the new Silverstars are so much brighter and whiter! Now I can see a whole lot more of the road. I'm going to try to convert my fog lamps too.

The best $50 I ever spent!

Excellent indeed. I did the fogs as well and there is a big difference. Silverstars for all my cars!!! They are worth the money.

Robertwav1 said:
Excellent indeed. I did the fogs as well and there is a big difference. Silverstars for all my cars!!! They are worth the money.

Yeah, they ARE terrific, and one good thing about them is that they have no downsides---unlike some of the other exotic alternatives they are cheap, legal, work extremely well, don't require any weird re-wiring and don't draw any more current. I did not know they made a bulb for the foglights? How is it identified so I can find it in the stores?

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houston, texas

Well, there is a downside. The life is shorter than standard bulbs, about a year, they say.

Bob

The Silverstar headlites are a direct replacement. Nothing out there is close to them with lite AND cost!

I upgraded my fogs to the higher wattage bulbs. Works real nice. My fuse was already rated high enough. I didn't have to do anything else.

Save The Wave! :w

Fog lights??

Do you guys have the wattage and model number for the fog lights??

Thank you, Jim

I have the number in my garage. I will go out there tomorrow morning and post it for you.

hi there guys,
just wandering which shop you can buy these whiter/brighter globes from?
how much for the two drivers and parker lights?
thanks
glen
sxyvet
Australia

Mail order (JCwhitney.com) had a sale on them. Seen them in auto stores cheaper but not the silverstar brand. Bulbs are different, use your number for your bulb then, they cross the number. Some web sites list the bulbs that cover a series of numbers.

NC2Stay said:
Well, there is a downside. The life is shorter than standard bulbs, about a year, they say.

Bob
Yes, I would have much preferred the Sylvania XtraVision bulbs, but couldn't find them. They have the same increase in light, though not as white. But the life breaks down as follows:

Sylvania 6054
Bulb: Low/High rated life
Standard: 320/150 hours
Long Life: 2,000/900 hours
Cool Blue: 100/70 hours
SilverStar: 100/50 hours
XtraVision: 850/200 hours

Of those, the XtraVision and SilverStars are 55/65W, the rest are 35/65W.

You could also probably use an 6059 bulb that is 55/65W with a rated life of 2,000/900 hours.

So in general, it will take 8 SilverStar bulbs to last as long as an XtraVision bulb. I really like the XV's, though they aren't quite as white as a SS, not that that really matters for seeing though. The XV's are generally cheaper as well.

Vette96CE said:
Do you guys have the wattage and model number for the fog lights??

Thank you, Jim

The original fog lite bulb is 25 watts / GE#896.

The upgraded bulb is 50 watts / GE#886.

On a 96, your tailite fuse should be a 15 amp. On an earlier C4, you might only have a 10 amp fuse. Take the 10 out and put in a 15. You're done!

lt4man said:
The original fog lite bulb is 25 watts / GE#896.

The upgraded bulb is 50 watts / GE#886.

On a 96, your tailite fuse should be a 15 amp. On an earlier C4, you might only have a 10 amp fuse. Take the 10 out and put in a 15. You're done!

Thanks---in the book "101 Projects" for the C4 the author talks about this upgrade, as well.

/s/ Chris Kennedy
Houston, Texas

sxyvet said:
hi there guys,
just wandering which shop you can buy these whiter/brighter globes from?
how much for the two drivers and parker lights?
thanks
glen
sxyvet
Australia

In the US, it's widely available online and Pep Boys/Autozone/Kragen automotive stores nationwide.

But for your location, your best bet would probably be online stores where they sell Sylvannia's or their parent name: Osram. Do an online search and I'm quite sure there wouldn't be a shortage of places to buy them. My replacement headlights cost US$25.00 ea. The bulbs for the foglamps are US$20.00 ea. I believe. I can't remember how much for the parking lamps, brake lights, turn signal, etc. They sell those too.

I bought the Osram brand for my Honda Interceptor motorcycle online (because they didn't have them available in stores here) and also got very good results.

Autozone has the 886 bulbs (50 watts) for the fog (driving) lites for $7.99.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom