Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Installed Silverstar headlights

Have any of you guys had failures of the silverstar. I read that their average lifespan is the equivalent of 1 year of average use. At least that was the information put out by the manufacturer.

I would hate to spend the time and money on a light bulb which will only last a year. Thanks.

Have any of you guys had failures of the silverstar. I read that their average lifespan is the equivalent of 1 year of average use. At least that was the information put out by the manufacturer.

I would hate to spend the time and money on a light bulb which will only last a year. Thanks.

Actual time for the lights would be more like 3-4 years or maybe longer, wouldn't you think? You don't have lights on 24/7

As an electronics guru I can say that's easy to do. Just install a 10 amp diode in the power lead to the high beam bulb over to the power lead of the load beam bulb.
Now, you're gonna need a test meter to determine which is the power lead on each bulb, there's one ground and one power. Then you need to install the diode so the power flows FROM the high beam side to the low beam. Power flows the same way the 'arrow' does on the diode.
I think that's a great idea, I'll test it out on my 2001 couple first chance I get, I may have some extra time to mess with it this weekend. If so, I'll document the work and post it here.
STW, Doc
if you use a diode you will be putting more amps thru the high beam wiring than the design called for. you will see lower voltage at the bulbs. it is better to use a small relay with the coil triggered by the high beam wiring and a separate wire from the battery thru the relay contacts to the the low beam wiring. never do this with a double filament bulb,both high and low beam in the same bulb, because it will over heat the bulb and blow them up.

If you really want the silverstars to work their best buy all 4 brights only bulbs (9005) and install them at all 4 locations.....you will have to remove a small tab on the 2 low beam sockets where the bulb snaps into the harness.....very easy to do ....you will see what I mean when you compare both bulb sockets side by side.........

I see you live in Dan Quale country Huntington, IN. Are you going to make this years Crusie Fest in Colorado? We're these bulbs you installed the real white ones, that look clear blue?

Bill :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom