Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Synthetic Power Steering Fluid 92 Vet

R

rlira

My owners manual indicates that I should use Synethic Power Steering fluid in my 92 Vet. I have found a Valvoline synethic blend but not an all synethic. Can I use any GM approved fluid or use the recommended synethic or synethic blend?

P.S. - This is my first attempt at using the discussion thread. Hope I did it correctly? Thank you.

Rich - 92 Vet Convertible 43,000 miles.

If your owner's manual specifies synthetic power steering fluid then a "synthetic blend" which is a blend (of unknown proportions) of synthetic and organic base stocks is not acceptable.

The best synthetic power steering fluid on the market is Red Line's but, admittedly, it's pretty expensive.

The next best choices would be any fluid that is branded as all-synthetic and, if the GM product fills that requirement, I'd use it.

I checked my 1993 owner's manual and it calls for GM 12345866 (16oz) synthetic power steering fluid. I called a Chevrolet dealer in the Kansas City area and he had none, and while checking he found only one dealer with that product (apx. $12) in stock, evidently little demand for the product. I checked two parts stores, one carries Royal Purple brand, the other carries none. Don't know how Royal Purple stacks up, but should I assume that if the power steering fluid is a full synthetic then it is an acceptable substitute for the GM product? Thanks.

Nothing like an old thread, eh?

I'll say the same thing now that I said almost ten years ago. If you want the best synthetic power steering fluid on the market, Red Line is what you need. It's sold in quarts. If GM dealers are getting 12 bucks a quart, I'll be Red Line fluid is not that much more expensive so tread your '93 to the best...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom