Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"SYS" blinking on my dash

T

tom94vette

Does anyone know what this could mean? My alarm light isn't on and it's working fine so I think I can rule that out. Otherwise all other gauges seem to be working fine but I keep getting the intermitent blinking "SYS" on my dash panel next to my speedometer. I have the 94 dash with the digital speedo.

Oh, also, I'm not sure if this could be it, but, I recently replaced the stock stereo unit. Had it professionally done. The stock receiver is behind the passenger seat and had the wires cut and run up front to power the aftermarket system. I don't know, maybe this has something to do with it.

Thanks
Tom

Sounds bizzar, but.....

how is your battery? Do you have any bad cells? My 92 did the same thing, flashing the "sys" thing on the dash. The dealer told me that is was a bad unit. After I replaced my battery (when the second cell died), I have never seen the flashing system thing since. That was over six months ago.

Good luck.

Topless,

Uh...Im not sure about the battery, I think its pretty good. Cranks over quickly and easily every time, also wouldn't the voltage guage show low voltage?? Maybe if I just disconnect the battery, which supposedly resets all the codes, and reconnect it, maybe it will stop. I'm going to try that tonight and see if that works, I'll let you know tomorow.

Thanks
Tom

Topless

Hey Topless.....you may want to check for codes on your Vette. When you dis connected the battery, the problem it was trying to tell you was reset by the computer. However if there was a problem, it still should have stored a code. If not, THEN, it was your battery. Remember, if you dis connect the battery it will clear any faults on your idiot lights and gauges.

Sooooo......there you have it

RIKO:w

HI there,
Tom, you are correct.
Removing the radio will cause this type of a condition, due to the fact that the normal receiver communicates with the CCM, or central control module.
You will never get this code out, unless the factory head unit is reinstalled.
YOu will not have any problems in general, just the SYS.
Besttoyou, c4c5

Here's some info I found that might help.

If "SYS" is displayed in the LCD section of the instrument panel cluster after the customer installs a new stereo, he will need to do the following:

1. Buy (2) 1 kilo-ohm 1/2 Watt resistors. [Radio Shack part # 271-023. They sell them as a 2-pack for 29 cents.]
2. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
3. Remove the receiver.
4. Connect one end of both resistors to ignition power. (Yellow wire in the car.)
5. Connect the other end of one resistor to the purple/white wire in the car.
6. Connect the other end of the second resistor to the grey/black wire in the car.
7. Cover all connections and completely cover the resistors.
8. Reconnect the negative battery cable.

Good Luck!

I was not getting any codes (checked that), just a spuratic "sys" flashing. There was no rhyme or reason to the flashing, and no codes. When the second cell died in the battery, and I replaced it, the electical gremlin went away.

The trick with the resistors is good to know though.

I'm going to try that this weekend and let you know if it works.

Tom

Ken

no, i haven't tried it. I got everything working perfectly and am afraid to mess with it. the wiring is so entangled what with the amp under the seat and all. I'm just lazy I guess.

tom

92 ctsv fuse keeps blowing out as soon as you turn a/c or stereo on any ideas?

Does anyone know what this could mean? My alarm light isn't on and it's working fine so I think I can rule that out. Otherwise all other gauges seem to be working fine but I keep getting the intermitent blinking "SYS" on my dash panel next to my speedometer. I have the 94 dash with the digital speedo.

Oh, also, I'm not sure if this could be it, but, I recently replaced the stock stereo unit. Had it professionally done. The stock receiver is behind the passenger seat and had the wires cut and run up front to power the aftermarket system. I don't know, maybe this has something to do with it.

Thanks
Tom

I know this is a really OLD post, but the answer to the problem is the need to add two resistors to the radio power wires. They'll cause the PCM to read the resistance it's looking for.

Installing an aftermarket sound system often causes this.

Jake

Hi, Tom. You probably know by now but absolutely the radio. I had the same in my '94 and did the resistor thing and all is well. Drove me nuts looking at that 'SYS' flashing.

My 96 CE had the same SYS lite problem, after one time when It went Click on trying to start it, got new battery and haven't seen the SYS lite since

I had the same problem when the battery ran low.
Disconnected the battery, waited 5 minutes and
the sys light never came on and flashed again

sys flashing

I had the same thing happen on my 1990 right after installing an accell hei super coil!

It's probably the radio. The resistor trick works. I just did this on my car a couple of weeks ago. Radio Shack has the resistors you need.

you will need two resistors and you will add 2 wires to the 12 volt supply . splice those into the two wires in the original harness that pluged into the original system. Pretty easy once you idetify the 2 wires you need.

The absolute best way to troubleshoot a SYS light related to the radio is to shine a flashlight on the ambient light sensor then put your thumb over the sensor. You should see the SYS light go on and off.

The reason for the SYS light in the first place is because the ambient light sensor circuit is not seeing a circuit from the stereo. The circuit is now open. The original stereo would dim or brighten under certain conditions, for example, going under a bridge during the day.

So the resistors are powered from a hot line and sent over to the CCM which fakes it out. I have the original GM modification if you need it and it is probably somewhere on this forum. I did the mod and it isn't really that hard. You really need the FSM to remove things without breaking them. It took me several hours to do it.

PM me if you need any help.

Paul

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom