Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! SYS light

pete a

Corvette
1993 40th ruby red
i noticed that a SYS light was coming on today located by the gas gauge in my 1993 37,000 miles.any idea what this means ?everything seems fine
no other indicator lights are on.

thank you

Pete,

It usually means your battery is on it's way out, or has discharged from sitting to long. You can clear the SYS code with a scanner, or disconnect the negative battery terminal. ( you will lose all your pre-sets like radio stations) Charge the battery by taking the car out for a ride, or hook up a charger. You should charge the battery before clearing the SYS code. If the code returns, chances are you need a new battery. If the code does not return, buy a trickle charger to keep the battery fully charged when the car is not used.

Good luck.

Pete,

It usually means your battery is on it's way out, or has discharged from sitting to long. You can clear the SYS code with a scanner, or disconnect the negative battery terminal. ( you will lose all your pre-sets like radio stations) Charge the battery by taking the car out for a ride, or hook up a charger. You should charge the battery before clearing the SYS code. If the code returns, chances are you need a new battery. If the code does not return, buy a trickle charger to keep the battery fully charged when the car is not used.

Good luck.

i will give it a try,thank you.i'm also from Long Island

When you see "SYS" in the IP display it means there's a central control module (CCM) fault.

Some believe this is the same as a "bad battery" warning but it's not. CCM faults can be caused by a variety of problems, one being low system voltage.

The first things to do is get the fault codes which are set in the CCM.

If one of them is for low system voltage, the problem could be the battery or some other part of the car's charging system or other electrical system issue relating to the CCM.

If you suspect the battery, have it tested. If it's bad, replace the battery, clear codes then road test.

Good luck.

Last edited:
i will give it a try,thank you.i'm also from Long Island

Pete, I'm in Smithtown. I am the treasurer for the local chapter of the NCRS (Metroli.org) If you have nothing to do on 10/6/13
we are having a meet at Wehrmann Engineering in Hauppauge. http://www.metroli.org/pdf/2013_1006_Wehrmann Chapter Meet.pdf
We will be there from 7am until about 3pm. Maybe I'll see you down there.

When you see "SYS" in the IP display it means there's a central control module (CCM) fault.

Some believe this is the same as a "bad battery" warning but it's not. CCM faults can be caused by a variety of problems, one being low system voltage.

The first things to do is get the fault codes which are set in the CCM.

If one of them is for low system voltage, the problem could be the battery or some other part of the car's charging system or other electrical system issue relating to the CCM.

If you suspect the battery, have it tested. If it's bad, replace the battery, clear codes then road test.

Good luck.

i had taken the two interior light fuses out is it possible that could have caused it,i put them back in and had the car running for 15 min and it did not go back on

thanks

i noticed that a SYS light was coming on today located by the gas gauge in my 1993 37,000 miles.any idea what this means ?everything seems fine
no other indicator lights are on.

thank you

Have you replaced the factory radio, or is there an aftermarket radio installed? That will cause a 'SYS' fault until you put resisters in line.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom