Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

T-Top help

Corvette
1981Dark Blue Metallic & 2004 conv. magnetic red
Well folks I really think I have a problem, I bought new bushings for the back of the T-top and was trying to pull what was left of the old bushing out. After no luck I unscrewed the pin and tried again so I lifted the locking lever to insrt a hook to remove the old one. I tried to screw in the pin again and it slid in and now I cannot get it out, I guess if I had left the lever in the locked position the pin would have screwed right back into place.

I dismantled the locking lever from the rod but I cannot get the rod out.

How do I open up the pocket where the rod runs inside the T-top. The screws that hold the gasket on are very rusted and I put 10W40 on them last night in hope of removing them would help.

Please help!

Signed Dumber and Dumbest also known as Chuck

Glass tops?

gtt1.jpg

Here's a broken one for reference. The glass is cemented to the top frames. Fiberglass tops are similar but might be easier to separate from the frames. The AIM shows how these are assembled. Lock rod runs down the left side of the broken top in the pic.

:)

Glass tops?

gtt1.jpg

Here's a broken one for reference. The glass is cemented to the top frames. Fiberglass tops are similar but might be easier to separate from the frames. The AIM shows how these are assembled. Lock rod runs down the left side of the broken top in the pic.

Do I have to remove the glass to get to the locking rod? Also do you know of anybody that repairs T-tops?

Do I have to remove the glass to get to the locking rod? Also do you know of anybody that repairs T-tops?

Yes. Glass has to be removed.

I do not know of anyone who repairs t-tops. A couple of vendors say they will replace the glass, but they are reluctant to work on tops where the original glass is intact.

If you find someone, share.

Chuck I would like to think that if you were to pick-up the top with rear of the top facing down,you should be able to shake it out of there.otherwise have you tried a small magnet to retrieve it from in the channel????
if I come up with any more ideas I'll let you know!

What Bill said! Use a magnetic pickup tool through the hole and fish around for the end of the shaft. With a little luck and some shaking, you can pull it back through the hole.

Chuck I would like to think that if you were to pick-up the top with rear of the top facing down,you should be able to shake it out of there.otherwise have you tried a small magnet to retrieve it from in the channel????
if I come up with any more ideas I'll let you know!

I am going to do this and I'm replacing the bushing so I will break out the old one which will give me a little larger hole to work with.

Thanks to wishuwerehere82 also for the inout.

I will even cross my eyes to get this to work.

Chuck

replacing the bushing is a lot cheaper than the glass!!!!!!

replacing the bushing is a lot cheaper than the glass!!!!!!

The problem started with trying to get the old bushing out and then I really screwed up.

My next step is to try to break the plastic bushing out and put a magnet in and with a lot of luck I will be able to put it all back together. This week end I will tackle it instead of trying to do it after all the evenings activities.

Its Fixed, wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :upthumbs:upthumbs:upthumbs

I removed the locking handle from the T-top so I could move the locking rod freely.

I broke away as much of the old bushing as possible then using a light bender on a small pocket light so I could see into the T-Top, the end of the pin was visable. I then gave it a squirt of WD40 then using a 3" screw ( kinda like a dry wall screw ) with threads down to the point I was able to get just enough of a catch into the slot on the head of the pin and pull it out.

Then using various drills I carefully increased the size of the drill to drill out the remaining of the old bushing til it releasd itself.

Moving the locking rod with one hand and using an awl with the other hand I was able to move the locking rod into the hole where the bushing was. I then attached the pin to the locking rod and slid the new bushing over it and tapped it into place using a long socket.

Now knowing what I do, should I tackle the other side next, NOT YET, I think I will wait til fall when she goes away for the winter.

Chuck

Now knowing what I do, should I tackle the other side next, NOT YET, I think I will wait til fall when she goes away for the winter.

Oh go ahead, live on the edge! :L Besides, there is no guarantee that guys our age will remember in the fall how we did something this summer. ;LOL Glad you were able to correct the problem.

Glad to hear you got it out with out damaging the top!!!! :beer :beer

now go for the other side...BUT be CAREFUL!!!!!!:upthumbs :upthumbs

Glad to hear you got it out with out damaging the top!!!! :beer :beer

now go for the other side...BUT be CAREFUL!!!!!!:upthumbs :upthumbs

OK OK WISHUWEREHERE82 - Come on Chuck, show some balls! Git-er-done!

Wish I had read these before last night - ITS DONE - easy, easy when you repeat a repair, you learn from your mistakes, less than 10 minutes its done.

Chuck

Way to go chuck!!!!!! :upthumbs :upthumbs :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom