Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

T-Top Storage

toolman44092

Corvette
2003 50th Anniversary Edition Coupe
My father purchased a '69 coupe this year. It has a bright blue interior. There were no storage bags for the tops. I'm not that familiar with this era, and I was wondering what he'll need to get to return it to original-type condition. Are there brackets or anything that mount in the rear to hold the tops or do the bags just rest in there?
CA0805-28228a.jpg

not 100% certain, but if i do remember correctly, the bags were all black back then also. most of the hardware can be purchased from the more popular parts dealers (there are three "U" shaped brackets with screws needed). the straps however aren't being reproduced (they were color coordinated to the interior color). they show up from time to time on ebay, and can be found from most of the usual vette salvage yards. most of them will need to be redyed (or cleaned with a stiff brush and a real good interior cleaner product) which isn't a big deal, so the thing to look for is good chrome ends and buckles on the straps you get.

Does anyone have photos of the rear storage area? I'm interested in seeing how the rear window is stored also.

toolman44092 said:
Does anyone have photos of the rear storage area? I'm interested in seeing how the rear window is stored also.
attachment.php

Hope the picture is there when I post this. You can see the strap in the foreground. I believe all the ttop bags were black and you can get repros from all the major vette catalogs. You can also mount ttop brackets (Vettespecialties.com) on an aftermarket luggage racks and free up space behind the seats.There is a shelf with a latch up under the area behind the seats and the pop out window fits in there.

I "found" the T-top storage bags in the window storage shelf. I have heard of others doing the same. Not sure if it was a common place for the bags to be placed when new or not.

-steve

WhiteKnight said:
I "found" the T-top storage bags in the window storage shelf. I have heard of others doing the same. Not sure if it was a common place for the bags to be placed when new or not.

-steve

COMMON PLACE-

Folded up and under the Y-strap.

I used a black, soft towel between my T-tops. It was MUCH faster to mess with than the bags. You have to pull the bottom one forward and the weatherstripping edge of the second one sits just behind the first, with a towel sandwiched between them.

Toolman,

I have owned my car for a long time, and I also didn't have the bags. One day (6 or 7 years ago) I started poking around. I was really curious to find-out if I also had a jack available), and under the storage tray (which at the time I had no idea that it was removable) there was a new set of black bags for my T-Tops. ...;LOL ...pretty dumb on my part...huh? I also found my jack...:beer

GerryLP:cool

toolman44092 said:
I was wondering what he'll need to get to return it to original-type condition. Are there brackets or anything that mount in the rear to hold the tops or do the bags just rest in there?

Is he wanting a correct restoration or just to get it to something close to original? My '69 is a December 1968 built car and there are two individual straps for my tops. The "Y" type came later.
Chuck W.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom