Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tach question

o2bnkc

Corvette
2024 Amplify Orange HTC
Heard a weird sound in my distributor today, looked down and saw my tach wasn't working. I pulled the disributor and the gears seemed to be working. When I looked at the cable coming from the tach, it was bare, nothing on the end. Is the end of the tach cable that goes into the distibutor supposed to have a "key" or someting slotted that would go into the gear drive? I assume it has to have some sort of way to hook into the gear system on the distributor. My next step is to look in some catalogs for pics, but I thought I would start here, and find out from the experts. Thanks in advance for any help.

The end of the cable core is swaged into a square shape, about 1/8" per side. Fits into the driven gear in the dist.

Possibly broken off flush?

New cable core is removed/reinstalled from the tach end.

It looks like it has broken off somewhere. It's not in the gear drive itself. I pulled all of that out of the tach. So i have to go in behind the tach and pull this one out from there to replace it? I haven't looked up there yet. Does it just unscrew like it does to the distributor?

It looks like it has broken off somewhere. It's not in the gear drive itself. I pulled all of that out of the tach. So i have to go in behind the tach and pull this one out from there to replace it? I haven't looked up there yet. Does it just unscrew like it does to the distributor?
Yes & Yes. Same type of nut as on dist end.

I'm not that familiar with C1's, but I think the back of the speedo and tach are more accessable than the '63-'67.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom