Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tachometer cable

ThorMX7

Corvette
1974 coupe L82 4-speed
I am trying to replace my tachometer cable and i am guessing its behind the dash and im required to remove it. but before i go and do that can anyone confirm that thats were it is and you cant gain access to it from below above the pedals. and and helpful hints about doing this would be much appreciated.
thank you,
doug

74 should be cable drive. You can go up under the dash, which if difficult, or you can take the dash pad pff , which is also envolved. But the cable does go in from inside the dash area towards the dist. any work behind the dash is a real adventure.

74 tach is direct drive unless Bubba has made a swap. You might be able to reach the connection on the rear of the tach from underneath, but it's very, very tight and dark up in there.

Are you sure the tach is bad and not the cable?

:)

i removed the upper dash pad and still doesn't seem like i can get the cable off of the back of the tach. Do i need to remove the right dash pad that the tach and speedo are in. and its a cable the runs off the back of the distributer. i am going to try to just replace the cable and see if that is the problem.

It could be a stripped gear in the dist. causing your problem. I would check the dist. out first. It probably is the cable though.

...Do i need to remove the right dash pad that the tach and speedo are in....

Remove? No. Loosen for access, Yes. Remove the trim screws at the center cluster, along the top of the dash pad, and along the door.

Remove lower steering column trim. Crawl underneath and drop the steering column.

Push the steering column down for space purposes and wiggle the dash pad forward. It won't come too far, but far enough to get a hand behind it.

:)

I changed mine this winter, I just , reached up and pushed the retaining clip with one finger while wiggling the cable out with the other fingers;LOL its a tight fit...then when I pulled the firewall grommet out it just crumbled.
I fried my cable because the distributor was indexed wrong and caused the cable to have too sharp of a bend,

Do this the correct way, ditch your mechanical tach for a stock '75-77 tach and go electric with a HEI unit, and fix it right.....

two types of mechanical tachs, those that are broken and those that will break soon.....you can sell your old mechanical components for a break even money position.....let them fix it....

:upthumbs

Hey Thor, this is sort of tough, kinda rough, but not that bad. There is a retainer clip that holds the cable to the tach. Get some hemastats/needle-nose pliers to pull the clip off. For extra room you can drop the steering column. They sell a cable that has a metal sleeve that keeps the tach cable from kinking.
Mrvette, I still run a mech tach on my '74. Never have had a problem with it, yet I've seen numerous posts about the electrical replacements that came on in '75.
peace Bud

Here's a picture of the clip you are trying to get off, just push on the tab and it will pull out. Take the seat out and it will be MUCH easier. Without A/C, you can get it out from below. With A/C I'm not sure.

Cableatspeedohead.jpg

Thanks for the picture duke. Now i know what i am working with because i was wondering how that end sat in place when i was looking at the new cable. I,m gonna try to go from below now i already tried from on top and that got nowhere.

TACH PROBLEM

I HAVE A 1976 L-48. MY TACH DOES NOT READ AT ALL. WHEN I START THE CAN THE NEEDLE MOVES JUST A LITTLE BIT BUT NOT EVEN TO THE ZERO. I NEED YOUR HELP. ;help

Replace the tach board, they burn out. Your tach is electronic.(stock one is)
you WILL have to pull the left side dash. There may be a how to some where, can anyone help???

Here's a picture of the clip you are trying to get off, just push on the tab and it will pull out. Take the seat out and it will be MUCH easier. Without A/C, you can get it out from below. With A/C I'm not sure.

Cableatspeedohead.jpg

And you dont have to take the dash apart. Dukes picture is worth a thousand words. Maybe even more than a thousand. With this picture it will possibly save hours of unnecessary work.:upthumbs

good work Duke...:thumb

You do have to pull the dash if you have an electronic board bad, on a 75 or newer, to get to it.

TACH PROBLEM

LVMYVT76,THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. BUT I AM CONFUSED. ONE ANSWER SAID THE RIGHT SIDE AND THE OTHER ANSWER SAID THE LEFT. THE LEFT MAKES MORE SENSE. WHAT PART OF THE DASH NEEDS TO COME OUT ? I'M NEW AT THIS.

LVMYVT76,THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. BUT I AM CONFUSED. ONE ANSWER SAID THE RIGHT SIDE AND THE OTHER ANSWER SAID THE LEFT. THE LEFT MAKES MORE SENSE. WHAT PART OF THE DASH NEEDS TO COME OUT ? I'M NEW AT THIS.
Rickey, welcome to the :CAC

As a suggestion, since you 'are new at this', it's appreciated all around if you don't put all your posts in CAPITAL LETTERS. Capital letters are interpreted as "screaming" or "loud" posts. It's part of what is referred to as Netiquette. A friendly FYI for ya since you're new. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom