Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tachometer light bulb change

And the question?

How do I get to the bulb to change it?

I couldn't reach up from behind, so I had to remove my dash-tach cluster. It requires removing the lense, which is easy - then, removing the lower steering column brace to allow it to drop 1, maybe 2 inches for the required clearance to remove the cluster. It took me an entire morning. Reaching fingers behind the unscrewed cluster to unclip the speedo took a couple minutes of practice. And, in high sight, I wish that I had removed the 4 screws holding the front seat because space is at a premium while doing this.

While you are there, I would recommend changing them over to `warm' LEDs which are brighter, and last a lifetime, so that you'll never have to do it again. They also dim a bit with your stock light switch - not as much as your dim incandescent dash bulbs, but they're not bright enough to dim, anyway. I also replaced the printed circuit board while the patient was on the table. And, be sure to pull out the steel speedometer cable from the housing while you are in there and properly lubricate it. This is important. I used a lithium lube, some use graphite. With a minor straight-out tug using pliers, it pulls all the way out and slides easily back in after lubing it. Don't use too much lube as it is not necessary.

Hope this helps - and, do the same for others on the forum. Dave

Replacing the dash bulbs are not too hard as far as projects go.

I replaced all of the bulbs with LED bulbs.

If you don't mind the fact you can't dim them... they make a huge difference. I've included a picture that compares the difference. The brighter, bluer image is with LED bulbs.

Attachments

• Gaugues before and after.jpg
    Gaugues before and after.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 82
Replacing the dash bulbs are not too hard as far as projects go.

I replaced all of the bulbs with LED bulbs.

If you don't mind the fact you can't dim them... they make a huge difference. I've included a picture that compares the difference. The brighter, bluer image is with LED bulbs.

It's a fact that old incandescent bulbs will burn out. I'm interested in this post because I would like to know if LED's would be better looking than the old ones. The last thing I want to do is tear into the dash, or the gauge cluster for any reason, so the LED's are tempting. I just don't want to make the gauges to look like a Nisson, or a Lexus. I'm a nostalgic when it comes to old cars (as most of us are). I saw the pics w/LED, but in real life, do they look modern, or do they blend in with the vintage look of the car?

LEDs are brighter- and the white ones reflect the blue color on the back of the panels better than the OE bulbs.

So, it does look a little bluer.

The photos in my post above show the difference.

I personally like the bluer hue because I think it's what GM wanted but the bulb technology just wasn't there at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom