Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tail light conversion Instructions

Corvette
1973 L-48 Coupe
To go from 1 tail light and a reverse light, to 4 tail lights and no reverse light. Be sure that your state dosent require reverse lights before going any further.

Here are the only tools I used.....
taillights023.jpg

You will need to get the parts you need to do the job. My car came with the "California" style bubble tail light lens when i bought it.
So all I needed was the pigtail for my year car.

taillights018.jpg

(I got mine at Rik's Corvettes parts in Florida.They came as a Christmas gift to me but run less than $10 each I believe...
http://www.riksvet.com/

But if you need the lens to finish the job you can go to here and get the entire kit to do the job including the connectors and all.
http://www.madvet.com/shop?frame=4.249.462

I had to use 4 jumpers to connect the 2 wires......
taillights019.jpg

If you have small hands and arms you wont have much trouble in the tight spots, but if not, just be patient.
Disconnect the battery.
Drop the spare tire holder out of the way.
Remove the lens cover and light bulb.Now you can reach up and unplug the current holder from the housing. I wrapped mine with electrical tape and left it there incase it needs to go back to factory specs in the future.
Now plug the new connector into the socket. It works just like the light bulb unscrews, a half twist and it drops right out or in.
Now you need to jump the 2 wires with the blue connectors. This is where small hands will come in handy!
When that is done it is time to put the light bulbs in, but first you need to file ( or dremmel if your kids didnt lose it:mad ) the little nub down on one side of the bulb so it will fit the old style socket. The 2 nubs are in a diffrent location than the reverse light so one has to go or it wont twist into place.
The one that needs to go is the one furthest from the end of the light connect points.
taillights021a.jpg

The arrow points to the one you need to remove.
Plug the light into place and put the lens back on.....reconnect the battery and you should be looking like this.....
taillights012.jpg

I left out one bulb so you can see what the diffrence looks like. Again, the way I have it stored for winter its hard to get a good photo but i think this is a good example of it.
This is a project I have put off , thinking I needed to replace the entire light housing and I was wrong. This was a fraction of what I expected to pay and it took alot less time than I thought as well.
I hope this thread helps you to decide wether or not to do it, and if so, i hope the tips I provided here help also.
Im really happy with the way It looks with all 4 lights lit!:upthumbs

Good luck, Chas:_rock

Thanks Chas...just what I need to rework the tail lights in my '69 widebody. Great write up and good pictures with notes. Really appreciate you taking the time. Thanks again, Marv.

Nice job! I liked the look of the flat lts on the c'4 so I installed 4 flat lts from a trailer on my 78,now it look's like my 85 & 90.I used the rubber gromets thay fit in also.Its a modular tail lt & waterproof.Later on I'll switch em over to led's.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1151839348033934696rOBEly

Wayback...What mfgr did you use...Peterson or Barjan, or other? And could you provide a short overview of what you did to convert the lighting system, ie: wiring connnections, any mods to the tail light module or the opening, possible ideas for what you plan to do for backup lights? Thanks, Marv.

I used "Truck Lite" since i work on tractor trailors.I'll take some Pics with the lits Poped out.Its not a hard install.The led's I want are also from a tractor trailor,ya proably seen em on the newer rigs. In havent installed the back up lt's yet.Ill proably go with another smaller 2"round clear modular lt. it'srainen here so it will be a few days before I take the pics,thanks for your intrest!

Chas, Thanks for the info and pictures on your tail light modifications. I have the bubble lights, but not the wiring to modify the back-up light. I am going to install this modification but I have a couple of questions before starting.

I'm not quite sure why you had to file down the bulb? Were you re-using the back-up bulb, and/or, wouldn't the same type bulb from the adjacent tail/stop light have worked?

And, I'm assuming that the turn signals will also be active in both lights?

I also plan to install small, thin back-up lights under my rear bumpers (I have a '72) and will try to make them as inconspicuous as possible.

Thanks again

Thanks for posting the tailight how-to. I think I will end up adding the harness as well, but keep my back-up harness there. So, I can switch out the lenses to get my inspection sticker (require back-up lights), then switch 'em back to dual brakes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom